Newsflash: You can now have Chipotle restaurant style chipotle grilled chicken AT HOME. Sounds a little too good to be true, I know. Feel free to jump to recipe, or go a little slower and browse these super juicy homemade chipotle grilled chicken photos.
There’s a reason this chicken was the center of attention in two weekly meal plans in a row. I can’t believe I wasn’t making it sooner – and now we are obsessed. I can see absolutely no reason to pass up making this as soon as you can… especially if you love chipotle. Grilling is not a requirement, but it’s necessary if you want that grilled smokey chipotle taste.
I had this recipe in my notes for several weeks before I actually made it. Long story short, I found it on a Reddit thread for copycat recipes, and I must give a generous shoutout to user BaroccoliObama for letting me share this recipe with all of you. This recipe is seriously my new go-to for chicken marinated ahead. Good for burritos, quesadillas, taco salads, burrito bowls, pizza toppings… Okay, I haven’t used it for pizza topping but I’m sure it would be delicious.
To prepare this glorious chicken, I dump a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a bowl and use a fork to crush the chipotles a little more. Mix in the salt, oregano, cumin, and minced garlic. I also really enjoy tenderizing the chicken, a necessary step. Next, put all ingredients into a gallon size Ziploc, and double bag to avoid any leaking. The hard part: waiting 12-48 hours marination magic.
Just like your favorite chicken burrito bowls from Chipotle, but marinated and cooked at home!
- 2 pounds fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Tenderize your chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer or pounder.
- In a bowl, place a chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Use a fork to crush the chipotle peppers a little more than they are when they come out of the can.
- Mix salt, oregano, cumin, and minced garlic into peppers and sauce. Mix well.
- Place all items in a gallon size Ziploc bag. Double bag to avoid leakage.
- Wait 12-48 hours for the chicken to marinate.
- Grilling is the best method of cooking this chicken. Let some sauce drip off before cooking on a hot grill.
- Best in burritos, taco salads, quesadillas, and more!
Thanks a million to Reddit user BaroccoliObama for this recipe and permission to share it on Project Meal Plan!
- Serving Size: 8 ounces chicken
- Calories: 343
- Fat: 9.4g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7g
- Protein: 57.1g
Thanks for checking out one of my favorite chicken marinade recipes! Hope you enjoy. Tag @projectmealplan on social media if you make this yummy recipe!
Homemade Chipotle Grilled Chicken goes well with: