The Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake has all the best flavors of buffalo chicken in casserole form, packed with shredded chicken breast, lightened up with Greek yogurt and baked to perfection with veggies and quinoa!
This is a pretty simple recipe which just takes a little bit of time to put together. I think my New Year’s cooking resolution will be to work on more recipes you can cook completely in one dish.
Not only will this save you time, but it will save ME time. With the exception of the quinoa (which is made in the rice cooker), the remaining components are all cooked in the Dutch oven for this recipe.
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Method: Stovetop & Baked
Prep: Make-Ahead Friendly
Watch how to make this Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake Video (2 min 16 sec):
For the quinoa, grease the inside of the rice cooker with coconut oil, throw (gently) in a can of broth and a cup of dry quinoa, and there you go. Quinoa in 40-50 minutes. I don’t even stir before I start it up.
Another option is to make your quinoa in an Instant Pot. This method is even quicker than the rice cooker. And both methods are so much easier than paying attention to another boiling pot on the stove.
In this recipe, I get the quinoa started first, so it’s ready when all the ingredients get mixed together and topped with cheese, see below.
After the quinoa gets going, start some chicken breasts in a preheated oven. While that’s cooking (25ish minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts), prep veggies!
This dish comes together quicker than it seems like it might. You’re sort of preparing the next steps while the current step is finishing up.
I’m always excited for buffalo chicken anything, and this one hits the spot. It’s also perfect for reheating and eating for lunches.
How to store cooked Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake:
Store leftovers in individually portioned airtight containers (or one large container) with lids on in the refrigerator and enjoy within 4 days.
How to freeze Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake:
I love to use Souper Cube trays to freeze individual portions of meals like this in the freezer. For this recipe, I would freeze in the 2-Cup Souper Cubes Trays (affiliate link!). Store in the trays or transfer to another airtight freezer bag or container. Enjoy within 4-6 months for best quality.
How to reheat Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake:
Reheat from the fridge: Cook in a microwave safe container for about 2 minutes, or until steaming hot. Alternatively, place in an oven safe container and into a cold oven. Turn the oven on to 350F and set a timer for 25 minutes. Check temperature and add more time if needed.
This recipe also reheats well in a HotLogic Portable Oven – link to my review here.
To reheat from frozen, preheat oven to 375F. Place frozen portion of buffalo chicken quinoa bake into a baking dish and cover with foil. Cook for about 35 minutes, or until mostly thawed. Remove from the oven, uncover and stir. Sprinkle cheese on top. Return to the oven uncovered and bake for another 10-20 minutes until sides are bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Did you make this? I want to see how it turned out! Tag me in your social media post @projectmealplan and use #projectmealplan when you share!
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake
The Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake has all the best flavors of buffalo chicken in casserole form, lightened up with Greek yogurt and baked to perfection with veggies and quinoa!
- 1 cup dry white quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can chicken broth
- coconut oil, for greasing the pan (can sub butter)
- 3–4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup whole fat or 2% greek yogurt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (separated)
- blue cheese crumbles optional (not my thing but some like it)
- Cook Quinoa: Use coconut oil to grease the inside of the rice cooker dish. Add quinoa and chicken broth to the rice cooker and set to cook on the brown rice setting (find detailed instructions to cook quinoa in the rice cooker here – find detailed instructions to cook quinoa in your Instant Pot here. You can also cook the quinoa by the package directions if you do not have a rice cooker or Instant Pot).
- Cook chicken: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken breasts in Dutch oven (preferably) or large oven safe skillet. Coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, flipping to coat both sides. Place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through to 165 degrees. Leave the oven on the for the final baking step. You can also use rotisserie chicken or any other leftover shredded chicken.
- Remove chicken from the Dutch oven and set aside. When it’s cool enough to do so, shred the chicken.
- Make hot sauce mixture: In a medium bowl, stir Greek yogurt, eggs, hot sauce, parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the leftover chicken juices over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir frequently for about 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add tomato paste and garlic powder. Stir for about 2 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Put it together: To the Dutch oven with the vegetables, add chicken, quinoa, and hot sauce mixture. Stir until completely combined. Top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake with lid on for 20 minutes. Bake with lid off for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.
Recipe inspired by Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Casserole by The Iron You. Nutrition information estimated with MyFitnessPal. Recipe video added and recipe updated on 10/08/18.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Fat: 14.1g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 58g
Leave a Comment