These Meal Prep Turkey Taco Black Bean Salads are a simple classic! Goals for this meal prep: One-Pan. Easy. Customizable. Perfect for throwing on a little bed of greens with some homemade taco dressing as lunch for the week.
Let me quickly share that something weird always happens during a move – this time it was two of my glass 4-cup Pyrex bowls getting completely stuck together.
I’m not totally sure how it happened, but I can say we tried several ways to get them apart. Different temps of water, WD-40, the freezer, my Sonicare. Eventually, some good old fashioned banging on the counter got them apart.
The point of my Pyrex story is this – I only had two of my favorite 4-cup Pyrex available when I cooked this meal. So I wasn’t able to take my favorite meal prep style photos.
The good news is I can always make this again and add more pictures (uhmm it’s 2022 and I still haven’t done this! SOON).
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep: Make-Ahead Friendly
Watch how to make Meal Prep Turkey Taco Black Bean Salads (2 min 22 secs):
What are the ingredients in these Meal Prep Turkey Taco Black Bean Salads?
The ingredients in this recipe are pretty flexible – feel free to use veggies and toppings you have on hands, instead of feeling like you need the exact same things as I used.
- ground turkey – For this recipe, lean ground turkey will work. Of course, if you don’t like ground turkey, you can easily swap for ground beef.
- avocado oil – I generally always use avocado oil for cooking because of the high smoke point and neutral flavor. Olive oil would also work here.
- yellow onion & jalapeño – These two veggies are my favorite to cook into the meat for tacos. Make it your own by adding different peppers or onions to the mix.
- ground cumin, paprika, garlic powder – If you have a specific taco spice seasoning you prefer, go for it! This is just my preference on seasonings. Sometimes I also use smoked paprika.
- fine sea salt & fresh ground black pepper – Using fresh ground black pepper is important, as it has the best flavor in my opinion.
- black beans – One can of rinsed and drained black beans is used in this recipe. If you don’t like beans, you can skip if you want!
- chunky salsa – Using your favorite salsa is the best way to make this meal prep your own! I prefer to use a chunky salad to add additional tomatoes and veggies to the meat mixture and dresing.
- lime – A squeeze of lime juice really brights up the meal!
- cherry tomatoes, romaine/Spring mix lettuce – To make my salad, I went for romaine and Spring mix. Use your favorite lettuce or greens. I also like to use cherry tomatoes in my salads for easy cutting and eating.
- cilantro – I’m a big cilantro fan and use it for garnish and flavor in all of my Mexican-inspired dishes.
- shredded cheese – Sprinkle on your favorite cheese!
- greek yogurt, milk, chili powder & salsa – To make the special salsa dressing, I used these ingredients. You can also swap the milk with water. I usually use almond milk for things like this, as it has a more neutral flavor of most non-dairy milks.
How to store prepared Meal Prep Turkey Taco Black Bean Salads:
Store prepared salads in airtight containers (with dressing stored separately) in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you’re concerned about lettuce quality, feel free to use the mason jar salad method, or enjoy salads within 2-3 days.
How to freeze prepared turkey taco mixture:
The recipe as written is not intended to be frozen, but you can freeze the turkey taco mixture by itself to be enjoyed at a later date.
Store in an airtight freezer safe container for 3-6 months for best quality!
How to reheat prepared Turkey Taco Black Bean Salads:
I’ve found there’s no need to reheat the proteins in this salad – it tastes great directly from the fridge!
An easy recipe with ground turkey, black beans and veggies cooked in one pot! Easy meal prep right here!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, fresh or thawed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or any oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed (I sometimes sub 1/2 green pepper if I don’t have any jalapeño)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chunky salsa, your favorite brand, separated
- juice of 1 lime
Dressing & Toppings
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (I used a spring mix)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mixed blend)
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk (any kind will work, or water)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (add more or less for spicy dressing)
The turkey mixture:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. When hot, add ground turkey. Use a spoon or spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you have a lot of extra liquid, you can remove the excess from the pan.
- Add onions and jalapeño to the skillet. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, black beans, 1 cup salsa and lime juice to the pan. Reserve the remaining salsa for the dressing. Stir until mixed. Let simmer for 3-4 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix greek yogurt, 1/2 cup salsa, milk and chili powder in a small bowl until well mixed. Distribute evenly in four small prep cups, or place it directly on your salads when they’re done. I use small glass prep cups that fit inside the Pyrex bowls.
Put it together:
- Distribute lettuce/greens evenly between meal prep bowls.
- Next, add your little cups of dressing (if you’ve got them!). They’ll sit on top of the lettuce in the bowl.
- Distribute the turkey black bean mixture to each bowl. Top with cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
Prep: You can prep the turkey black bean mixture ahead of time and make salads on the go – OR use it for tacos!
Taco Yogurt Dressing adapted from Chicken Taco Mason Jar Salads from The Seasoned Mom. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal. Update: Video added on 5/11/17.
- Serving Size: 1 salad bowl
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 18.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Protein: 42.1g