An easy recipe with ground turkey, black beans and veggies cooked in one pot! Easy meal prep right here!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, fresh or thawed
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or any oil)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced, seeds removed (I sometimes sub 1/2 green pepper if I don’t have any jalapeño)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chunky salsa, your favorite brand, separated
- juice of 1 lime
Dressing & Toppings
- 5 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (I used a spring mix)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mixed blend)
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons milk (any kind will work, or water)
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder (add more or less for spicy dressing)
The turkey mixture:
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. When hot, add ground turkey. Use a spoon or spatula to break the meat into smaller pieces. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you have a lot of extra liquid, you can remove the excess from the pan.
- Add onions and jalapeño to the skillet. Cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, black beans, 1 cup salsa and lime juice to the pan. Reserve the remaining salsa for the dressing. Stir until mixed. Let simmer for 3-4 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix greek yogurt, 1/2 cup salsa, milk and chili powder in a small bowl until well mixed. Distribute evenly in four small prep cups, or place it directly on your salads when they’re done. I use small glass prep cups that fit inside the Pyrex bowls.
Put it together:
- Distribute lettuce/greens evenly between meal prep bowls.
- Next, add your little cups of dressing (if you’ve got them!). They’ll sit on top of the lettuce in the bowl.
- Distribute the turkey black bean mixture to each bowl. Top with cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
Prep: You can prep the turkey black bean mixture ahead of time and make salads on the go – OR use it for tacos!
Taco Yogurt Dressing adapted from Chicken Taco Mason Jar Salads from The Seasoned Mom. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal. Update: Video added on 5/11/17.
- Serving Size: 1 salad bowl
- Calories: 388
- Fat: 18.9g
- Carbohydrates: 14.1g
- Protein: 42.1g