Make-Ahead Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos are totally underrated. You just have to keep it simple. Make your ingredients, then turn your counter into a burrito assembly conveyor belt style machine. I love this recipe because I love burritos, breakfast, and things made-ahead. It’s food prep heaven.
Jump to Recipe · Jump to Video
First, I prep all my ingredients, crack/whisk the eggs, and make sure everything is ready to go. It’s also important to pick the right size tortillas – I like bigger than taco size but smaller than burrito size. Low cow carb tortillas always work too. So to fit this balance, I’ve been using these whole wheat tortilla wraps, and they seem to hold up well.
Here are the burrito components you need:
- Those tortillas I was talking about (or your favorite – bigger is better)
- Peppers & onions or other veggies that aren’t too wet
- Breakfast sausage/meat
- Cheese/hot sauce
Here are some tips I found from some other bloggers that understand the power of make-ahead freezer friendly breakfast burritos!!
- Use room temperature ingredients to avoid sogginess! – from Damn Delicious, Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Choose any fillings you like, but try to avoid any that are prone to wetness – I agree, and I’ve found that things like tomatoes and mushrooms just make the burrito soggy. – from How I Make Burritos to Freeze by Jessica Fisher, thekitchn.com
Plus my very important make-ahead reheating tip:
- Take a breakfast burrito out of the freezer the night before you want to eat it, so it can thaw overnight. Then when you reheat, there will be no icy core!!
As you may have guessed, breakfast burritos are perfect for popping in the toaster oven or microwave and eating in the morning. You can swap out your favorite meats and toppings, or remove the cheese if you prefer. Just make sure not to overstuff your burritos, or they’ll rip and it will be less fun for you.
One more tip – if you forget to take your tortillas out of the fridge before assembly, just pop them in microwave for maybe 20 seconds so they’ll be pliable enough and not rip.
How to Make the Make-Ahead Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos (1 min 26 secs):
More breakfast options from Project Meal Plan:
- Peanut Butter Powder Blueberry Cinnamon Smoothie
- Spinach Feta Chicken Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Sweet Potato Crust
- Lemon Poppy Seed Blueberry Protein Pancakes
Method and tips for making your own freezer friendly breakfast burritos – perfect for meal prep!
- 1 green bell pepper (or any color), diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 ounces ground breakfast meat (I use Isernio’s Italian Ground Chicken sausage)
- 10 eggs, whisked with a pinch of salt and a pepper whisked in
- 8 Ole Whole Wheat Tortilla Wraps (or other wraps, but make sure they are large)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- pinch of salt/fresh ground pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large/deep skillet. When hot, add onion, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add meat and cook thoroughly, until completely cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. At this point, dump the meat and veggies in a large bowl, drain any excess liquid and set aside to cool.
- Use a paper towel to wipe out your pan, or use an alternative pan. Reduce heat to low and return the pan to the heat.
- Add all eggs to the pan and stir continuously until the eggs are completely cooked. Do not over cook – eggs will cook a tiny bit more when your burritos are reheated.
- Remove the eggs from the pan and set aside to cool. Let everything cool to reduce moisture in the burritos.
- Set up your burrito assembly line. Warm up your tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave to make them more foldable and less likely to rip.
- Make 8 burritos, each with 1 big scoop of mixture and a sprinkle of cheese on top. Wrap your burritos by folding the sides in and wrapping the tortilla to tuck in the sides (like at Chipotle!).
- Wrap each in foil and store in the freezer. Take a burrito out of the freezer the night before you plan to eat it. Best when reheated in a toaster oven for 7-8 minutes (depending on your toaster oven). You can also toast for 4-5 minutes to get the outside crispy, then microwave for 30-45 more seconds to ensure it’s heated through.
Store in the freezer for up to three months. Make sure each burrito is wrapped tightly in plastic wrap or foil. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Fat: 22.8g
- Carbohydrates: 27.7g
- Protein: 23.1g
Thanks for checking out the Make-Ahead Freezer Friendly Breakfast Burritos! If you have any breakfast burrito tips or tricks, I’d love to hear them! I’m always looking for ways to improve my meal prep game. Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for meal inspiration every single day!