Sean’s 3-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot & Stovetop instructions!) are a classic simple side dish that can go with any meal – fancy or totally casual. SO simple to whip up in and works great as a make-ahead side dish!
Jump to Recipe
Sean is my husband. And Sean really, really likes mashed potatoes. Before any family holiday event: “Will there be mashed potatoes? Should I make some just in case??”
I had never actually made mashed potatoes on my own before a few weeks ago. Sean had his own special way with them, and so I just let him take over every time mashed potatoes were on the table.
Sure, I knew the ingredients he used. But I didn’t know the proportions his taste buds required. And proportions are just as important as ingredients.
A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to actually LEARN how to make these mashed potatoes. Plus, I decided to morph it into an INSTANT POT (affiliate link!) version. Sean always made them on the stove, so the Instant Pot part would be my own touch. Also because I’m just really into using my Instant Pot lately.
Things to know about Sean and his mashed potatoes:
- He only adds butter, milk, and salt to the potatoes.
- He only uses a hand mixer to mash the potatoes.
- He always eats mashed potatoes with peas.
Following those rules, I knew it was possible for me (with his assistance), to work out the real recipe he normally winged so we could get them perfect every time. Or, more importantly, I could get them perfect every time. Without guessing!
3-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes are good for:
Mashed potatoes are not just for holidays.
They’re also great for:
- romantic dinner sides (V-day or not)
- Sunday dinner
- birthday dinners
- comfort food
- any time side dish
- making ahead and reheating
- an overall easy and cheap option
- make-and-take (doesn’t require an oven)
At this point, I’m 100% confident I can reproduce Sean’s Mashed Potatoes without him around, and so can you! They’re classic, creamy, and wonderfully easy (once you’ve got those proportions!).
More side dish recipes from Project Meal Plan:Print
Sean’s 3-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes are a classic simple side dish that can go with any meal – fancy or totally casual. SO simple to whip up in and works great as a make-ahead side dish too! Instant Pot & Stovetop versions!
- 7–8 russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and rinsed
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened or cut into small cubes for quick melting
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Place peeled potatoes into Instant Pot insert (they should form one layer on the bottom). Fill the IP with water until the potatoes are just covered (about 4 1/2 cups). Place the IP lid on, and make sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Release the steam immediately, and carefully drain the water from the potatoes as soon as possible.
- Let the potatoes cool for a couple minutes and then use a hand mixer with beater attachments to begin mashing. Add milk and butter, then mix on medium for about 2 minutes until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil a large pot of salted water, add potatoes, and cook until fork tender, about 13-15 minutes. Drain water, and let the potatoes cool for a couple minutes.
- Use a hand mixer with beater attachments to begin mashing. Add milk and butter, then mix on medium for about 2 minutes until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Note: The hand mixer may leave marks on the bottom of your IP insert. If this bothers you, transfer the cooked potatoes to a new dish before mixing.
Instant Pot version instructions adapted from The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes from Pinch of Yum. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 5g
Thanks for checking out Sean’s 3-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes (Instant Pot & Stovetop)! He thanks you. Tag me or use #projectmealplan on social media to share!