Sean’s 3-Ingredient Mashed Potatoes are a classic simple side dish that can go with any meal – fancy or totally casual. SO simple to whip up in and works great as a make-ahead side dish too! Instant Pot & Stovetop versions!
- 7–8 russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and rinsed
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened or cut into small cubes for quick melting
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Place peeled potatoes into Instant Pot insert (they should form one layer on the bottom). Fill the IP with water until the potatoes are just covered (about 4 1/2 cups). Place the IP lid on, and make sure the steam release valve is sealed.
- Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Release the steam immediately, and carefully drain the water from the potatoes as soon as possible.
- Let the potatoes cool for a couple minutes and then use a hand mixer with beater attachments to begin mashing. Add milk and butter, then mix on medium for about 2 minutes until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil a large pot of salted water, add potatoes, and cook until fork tender, about 13-15 minutes. Drain water, and let the potatoes cool for a couple minutes.
- Use a hand mixer with beater attachments to begin mashing. Add milk and butter, then mix on medium for about 2 minutes until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Note: The hand mixer may leave marks on the bottom of your IP insert. If this bothers you, transfer the cooked potatoes to a new dish before mixing.
Instant Pot version instructions adapted from The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes from Pinch of Yum. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: about 1/2 cup
- Calories: 289
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Protein: 5g