This Chicken & Hummus Plate Lunch Meal Prep is so simple yet incredibly filling and delicious! Get back to basics with fresh cut bell pepper, carrot, cucumbers, paired with a perfect portion of chicken breast, cheese slices, and grapes for a touch of sweetness. Simple portioning instructions included!
Jump to Recipe
I shall never spend $8 on a bistro box from Starbucks again. Say it with me!! I shall never spend $8 on a bistro box from Starbucks again. YES.
Okay, I know there are going to be rare exceptions to this new rule I just put in place for you, but c’mon. Those things are freaking expensive and you can make the same thing at home for half the price.
I’ve always been a fan of making your own ‘lunchable’ style meal at home. Last year, I published How to Turn Cheese and Crackers into DIY Adult Lunchables. This year, I’ve switched the processed meats from the ‘lunchable’ to good old fashioned chicken breast. I’ve also added more veggies and hummus, because hummus is delicious and basically a requirement for dipping raw veggie sticks.
But in order to include hummus, you need a solid container situation. Let’s discuss.
Where do you get those containers?!
First and most important – these are the 3 Compartment Glass Meal Prep Containers (affiliate link!) from Prep Naturals (these sometimes sell out so check back). This is probably the most common question I receive. These style containers are essential if you want to keep food separated, like so:
I strongly prefer to keep my hummus separate from everything else until the moment of dipping. Who doesn’t want full control over their dipping?? So if you’re packing this lunch, you’ll need to pick one of the following ideas to keep a leash on your hummus:
- Buy these 3 Compartment Glass Meal Prep Containers (affiliate link!) (pictured) to easily store/transport your hummus.
- Buy a small, mini 1-cup glass prep container (affiliate link!) for small things like hummus or other dipping sauce – you can reuse it every day with a quick wash. I also use this to pack pretzels so they aren’t crushed.
- Buy single serve hummus packs. I don’t recommend this because it produces more packaging trash!
Now that you’ve got the container situation covered, let’s move on to preparing and portioning this meal prep!
How to portion your Chicken & Hummus Plate Lunch Meal Prep ingredients:
Amount: 1 regular sized cucumber
Prepare by: Washing, peeling if you want, removing ends and cutting into 30-40 slices
Can substitute with: Celery
Tip: To achieve the stripes on the sides of the cucumber slices, use a peeler to remove long strips of cucumber peel following the entire length of the cucumber leaving peel on the cucumber in between the removed strips. It doesn’t even have to be neat to look fancy once the cucumber cut.
Red Bell Pepper
Amount: 1 regular sized bell pepper
Prepare by: Washing, removing core and seeds, then cutting into strips
Can substitute with: Green, yellow or orange bell pepper, mini sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes
Red bell peppers are slightly sweeter than green bell peppers, and the red is vibrant and beautiful, which is why I like them. However, any kind of peppers you like to eat raw would work just fine.
Amount: 1 large sized carrot
Prepare by: Washing, peeling, removing stem end, cutting into thirds, cutting each third in half lengthwise, and cutting each half into 3-4 strips.
Can substitute with: Sugar snap peas or baby carrots
Tip: Instead of buying a whole bag of baby carrots that you might not consume, just buy one large carrot (you can buy them individually but it might not be located right by the bagged carrots). You’ll definitely consume it and it’s most likely cheaper than a whole bag of baby carrots.
Red Seedless Grapes
Amount: 1 bunch of grapes
Prepare by: Washing and portioning.
Can substitute with: Cherry tomatoes or strawberries
Feel free to remove the grapes from the vine if it’s easier for you to prep and place into your containers. Grapes are a sweet little addition to this meal prep, so don’t skip them!
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Amount: 16 ounces, or two medium sized chicken breasts
Prepare by: Cooking and cutting into 4 ounce portions
Can substitute with: Hard-boiled egg or other non-meat alternative, more veggies, or ham or turkey slices
I used leftover grilled chicken breasts for my meal prep, but you can use any kind of meat or non-meat alternative you want. I think a hard-boiled egg would work as a great vegetarian friendly and cheaper option.
Hummus, Cheese & More
For these particular meal prep lunches, I used smoked gouda as my cheese addition. There’s minimal prep here – just cutting and weighing out your cheese into 1 ounce portions. Feel free to use your favorite kind of cheese.
I’ve tried several kind of hummus, but I can always count on Hope Foods Hummus to go well with anything. For these lunches, I purchased an 8 ounce container for original flavor Hope Foods hummus (affiliate link!) and divided it evenly between the four lunches. This equals 2 ounces of hummus for each lunch. PS: I’m also a huge fan of their spicy avocado hummus, but I didn’t want to photograph green hummus! You should definitely try it though.
I also like to pack a little bowl of pretzel thins or other cracker with this kind of meal prep lunch. To do that, I simply stash the pretzels or other cracker in a separate 1-cup glass prep container (affiliate link!) (the same one I would recommend for hummus if you don’t have the 3 compartment containers). This way the pretzels:
- don’t get cold and weird from being refrigerated
- don’t get mushy from touching hummus or moist foods
- don’t break or get smooshed from other foods
More amazing meal preps from Project Meal Plan:
- Spicy Ground Turkey & Cabbage Stir Fry Meal Prep
- Meal Prep Chicken Quinoa Fried “Rice” Bowls
- Mexican Quinoa Chicken Salad Lunch Bowls
This Chicken & Hummus Plate Lunch Meal Prep is so simple yet incredibly filling and delicious! Get back to basics with some fresh cut bell pepper, carrot, cucumbers, paired with a perfect portion of chicken breast, cheese slices, and grapes for a touch of sweetness.
- 16 ounces cooked chicken breast
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, cut into strips
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 bunch of red seedless grapes
- 4 ounces cheese (I used smoked gouda)
- 8 ounces hummus
- your favorite cracker, pretzel thins, or pita chips (stored separately)
- Divide all ingredients into four even portions and add to storage containers. To each container add 4 ounces chicken breast, 1 ounce cheese, 2 ounces hummus, and an even portion of produce. Use a kitchen scale (affiliate link!) if needed. Pictured are these 3 compartment glass meal prep containers (affiliate link!).
- Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator and consume within 4 days.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal and does not include additions like pretzels or crackers.
- Serving Size: 1 meal prep lunch
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Protein: 32g
To make this recipe, I used:
Thanks for checking out this Chicken & Hummus Plate Lunch Meal Prep – it’s one of my favorites so far this year! Please tag me or use #projectmealplan on social media to share!