Creamy whipped Greek yogurt meets apple season! These Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups are the best way to use up plain Greek yogurt. Easy to make and perfect for breakfast or dessert meal prep for the week!
It’s almost Fall, my neighbors gave me 58 apples, and I love whipped Greek yogurt. What’s more fitting than sharing these Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups?
If you were going to say Pumpkin Spice Whipped Greek Yogurt – don’t worry, I already made that!!
In fact, I’ve made a couple different whipped Greek yogurt combos over the last couple years! Here’s a quick list – find your favorite and let me know!!
- Strawberry Whipped Yogurt Cups
- Peppermint Chocolate Whipped Greek Yogurt Cups
- Plain Whipped Greek Yogurt
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep: Make-Ahead Friendly
What are the ingredients in these Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups?
This recipe is made up of two main parts. We’ve got the whipped Greek yogurt, and then we have the cooked apple mixture that gets added in for flavor and use as a topping. Let’s discuss both!
Cinnamon apple mixture – This portion of the recipe is cooked to soften the apples and create a delicious apple syrup (different from applesauce!). After it chills, it’s added to the whipped Greek yogurt.
- apple – I like to use one large Honeycrisp apple for this recipe. Two small apples would also work! Finely dice into very small chunks that you’d be happy to find in your yogurt!
- apple juice – This is what makes the ‘syrup’ for our yogurt cups. The apple juice will reduce a bit and then thicken into a syrup with the starch slurry.
- lemon juice – Helps balance the sweet flavors! And I’ve always been taught that lemon juice goes with apples.
- cinnamon – I LOVE cinnamon, and I hope you do too!!
- sea salt – Brings out the flavors and balances all the sweetness in this recipe.
- cornstarch slurry – For thickening! You can sub with arrowroot starch if you want.
Whipped Greek Yogurt – Please note, if you want even more info on my whipped Greek yogurt, please visit the original post, How to Make Whipped Greek Yogurt!
- plain Greek yogurt – I prefer to use Fage brand Greek yogurt. I recently tried with Trader Joe’s brand and found it wasn’t as thick and delicious!
- heavy whipping cream – This will bring the lift and whip to your whipped Greek yogurt.
- maple syrup – You can use maple syrup or honey to sweeten your Greek yogurt.
- vanilla extract – I love the background flavor that vanilla adds to the yogurt.
First, the diced cinnamon apple mixture:
Get the apples cooking first so they have time to cool down while you whip up the Greek yogurt.
Combine all the cinnamon apple mixture ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 or 8 minutes, or until the apples are softened but not mushy.
Next, add the cornstarch and water slurry and stir for a minute or two while the apples continue to simmer and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let cool while you whip the yogurt.
How to make the whipped Greek yogurt:
Add all the whipped Greek yogurt ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer.
Start mixing on low for about 20 seconds, until the liquid cream begins to mix into the yogurt, then increase power to the highest speed.
Continue whisking for about 2 minutes, pausing to push down the sides and give it a quick stir. Blend for another 1-2 minutes.
Next, we combine the parts! To make the Cinnamon Apple Whipped Greek Yogurt, all you have to do is take about a 1/4 cup of the cooked cinnamon apple mixture, and mix it in with the Greek yogurt.
Don’t mix all of your apple mixture into the Greek yogurt – it will add a lot of liquid and reduce the thickness of your whipped yogurt.
Instead, use it as a topping or to make layers life a parfait.
Ways to meal prep these Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups:
Here are two options for preparing these cups for meal prep and how to store them:
- Store your whipped yogurt and your cooked apples in separate containers and then assemble before eating. This method lets you decide how much you want to eat when you eat it! And you don’t have to spend time putting the layers into the little cups if that’s not for you.
- Prepare individual portions in half pint wide mouth mason jars (affiliate link!) as pictured, or use whatever small containers you have available! This method is great for grab & go, as well as portion control.
How to store cinnamon apple whipped yogurt cups:
These cute little cups will last up to 5 days in a sealed container in the fridge, but I bet they’ll be gone before then!
How to freeze cinnamon apple whipped yogurt cups:
I would not recommend freezing these cups – the apples may hold up but I think the Greek yogurt would lose it’s whipped texture and not be the best.
Did you make this? I want to see how it turned out! Tag me in your social media post @projectmealplan and use #projectmealplan when you share!
Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups
Creamy whipped Greek yogurt meets apple season! These Cinnamon Apple Whipped Yogurt Cups are the best way to use up plain Greek yogurt! Easy to make and perfect for breakfast or dessert meal prep for the week!
Cinnamon Apple Mixture
- 1 large apple, cored and finely diced
- 3/4 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon’s worth)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch sea salt (1/8 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, mixed together (can sub arrowroot)
Whipped Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup whole fat or 2% plain Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Cook the apples: Combine all the cinnamon apple mixture ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 7 or 8 minutes, or until the apples are softened but not mushy. Next, add the cornstarch and water slurry and stir for 1-2 minutes while the apples continue to simmer and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let cool while you whip the yogurt. Add the cinnamon apples to a wide/shallow dish and place it in the freezer to chill for at least 15 minutes. The mixture can also be made a few hours ahead or the night before.
- Whip the yogurt: Add all ingredients to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or use a hand mixer. Begin mixing on low for about 20 seconds, until the liquid cream begins to mix into the yogurt, then increase power to the highest speed. Continue whisking for about 2 minutes, pausing to push down the sides and give it a quick stir. Blend for another 2 minutes. It will thicken slightly in the fridge overnight.
- Assemble yogurt cups: Once the cinnamon apples have cooled to room temperature, take about 1/4 cup of the mixture and mix it into the whipped Greek yogurt. Distribute all of the whipped Greek yogurt and all of the cinnamon apple mixture evenly between four cups or bowls with airtight lids (at least 8 ounces). Put the fruit on the bottom, on the top, or make layers like a parfait. Serve with granola or fresh apple slices if desired. Lasts up to 5 days in the fridge.
This is a flavored version of my original Whipped Greek Yogurt recipe. Try these other variations: Strawberry, Pumpkin Spice, and Peppermint Chocolate. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 yogurt cup
- Calories: 176
- Fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Protein: 5g
Leave a Comment