The Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bake has all the best flavors of buffalo chicken in casserole form, lightened up with Greek yogurt and baked to perfection with veggies and quinoa!
- 1 cup dry white quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can chicken broth
- coconut oil, for greasing the pan (can sub butter)
- 3–4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup whole fat or 2% greek yogurt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (separated)
- blue cheese crumbles optional (not my thing but some like it)
- Cook Quinoa: Use coconut oil to grease the inside of the rice cooker dish. Add quinoa and chicken broth to the rice cooker and set to cook on the brown rice setting (find detailed instructions to cook quinoa in the rice cooker here – find detailed instructions to cook quinoa in your Instant Pot here. You can also cook the quinoa by the package directions if you do not have a rice cooker or Instant Pot).
- Cook chicken: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken breasts in Dutch oven (preferably) or large oven safe skillet. Coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, flipping to coat both sides. Place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through to 165 degrees. Leave the oven on the for the final baking step. You can also use rotisserie chicken or any other leftover shredded chicken.
- Remove chicken from the Dutch oven and set aside. When it’s cool enough to do so, shred the chicken.
- Make hot sauce mixture: In a medium bowl, stir Greek yogurt, eggs, hot sauce, parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the leftover chicken juices over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir frequently for about 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add tomato paste and garlic powder. Stir for about 2 minutes, and then remove from heat.
- Put it together: To the Dutch oven with the vegetables, add chicken, quinoa, and hot sauce mixture. Stir until completely combined. Top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake with lid on for 20 minutes. Bake with lid off for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.
Recipe inspired by Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Casserole by The Iron You. Nutrition information estimated with MyFitnessPal. Recipe video added and recipe updated on 10/08/18.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Fat: 14.1g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 58g
Keywords: chicken, chicken breasts, quinoa, buffalo chicken, dinner, dutch oven, baked, casserole