Delicious juicy chicken baked with broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, greek yogurt and more! Healthy and easy, from ProjectMealPlan.com
- 1 head of broccoli, stems removed, cut into bite-sized pieces or florets
- 1 head of cauliflower, stems removed, cut into bite-sized pieces or florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 heaping cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup greek yogurt, whole fat
- 1/4 cup milk, 2%
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and separated
- 3 cups rotisserie chicken (all the meat pulled from one chicken)
- 1 pinch of red chili pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup baked parmesan crisps, crushed (I like Whisps, or make your own – see notes)
- Begin by steaming your broccoli and cauliflower together in a deep pan (I used a Dutch Oven). Place all florets in about 1 inch of water and a pinch of salt. Cover and set to medium heat. Steam until all florets are just tender, which took 16-18 minutes for me. When the broccoli and cauliflower are nearly done, pre-heat the oven to 375. Remove broccoli and cauliflower from heat and strain to remove all liquid from the pan. Set the veggies aside to cool.
- Return the same pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and onions are beginning to turn translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, greek yogurt, and milk. Stir until completely mixed. Add rotisserie chicken, 1 cup cheese (save the other 1/2 cup), red chili pepper flakes, basil, parsley, black pepper, and salt. Stir until almost completely mixed.
- Finally, add all cooked vegetables and stir until everything is completely mixed. Add to 9×13 greased baking dish.
- Spread remaining cheese on top. Sprinkle parmesan crisps on top of cheese. Place in the oven for 35 minutes. Casserole is done when the top is golden brown. I like to broil for 3 extra minutes to give the top a little extra crisp.
Parmesan crisps: Readers have suggested making your own parmesan crisps at home: On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, make little piles of shredded parmesan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, or until crispy. Crunch them up and sprinkle them on your casserole!
Inspired by Chicken Cauliflower Casserole by 12 Tomatoes. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal. Update: Video added on 5/26/17.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of casserole
- Calories: 335
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 11.8g
- Protein: 32.5g