Loaded with Swiss chard, broccoli, red bell pepper, and of course eggs & bacon, this Veggie Packed Breakfast Fried Rice makes a great savory brunch dish, or meal prep it for any meal of the day to enjoy delicious leftovers!
- 1 + 1/2 cups uncooked white rice, rinsed
- rice cooking water (*amount varies depending on rice cooking method)
- 8 strips bacon, raw (I use ButcherBox – affiliate link)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1 bunch swiss chard leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cloves fresh chopped garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4–5 tablespoons avocado oil or other high heat oil
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if not using soy sauce
- Cook and cool rice: Cook the rice in your preferred method; on the stovetop according to box directions, or using a rice cooker or Instant Pot. Fluff and cool the cooked rice by laying it out on a sheet pan uncovered to let the steam rise. You can also use chilled leftover rice. I cook the rice while I’m prepping the remaining ingredients.
- Cook the bacon: Cut raw bacon strips into chunks (a little larger than bits) using a sharp knife. Heat a Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat. When hot, add raw bacon chunks and cook until browned to your liking, stirring occasionally. Transfer cooked bacon into a small bowl lined with a paper towel and set aside. Reserve about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pan to cook vegetables.
- Cook the veggies: Heat the reserved bacon grease in the same pan over medium heat. Add onions and peppers, cooking for about 3 minutes and stirring occasionally. Next, add broccoli florets and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Finally, add the chard leaves, ginger and garlic to the pan and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Remove the vegetables from heat and set aside.
- Fry the rice in batches: Heat a wok or large deep skillet over medium high heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Once hot (very hot), add about 1/3 of the batch of cooked rice to the wok. Toss and stir with a wooden spoon, until the rice is pale brown and toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the fried rice to a medium bowl, and repeat the process with the remaining two batches of rice and oil. Leave the final batch of rice in the wok, turn down the heat to low, and add the previously fried rice back to the wok.
- Put it all together: Add the cooked vegetables and cooked bacon to the wok with the fried rice and stir until mixed. Add soy sauce and stir until combined. Make a well in the center of the wok, add 1/2 tablespoon of oil, and add the eggs. Wait for about 90 seconds for the eggs to begin to scramble, then use a spatula to break up the eggs into small bits and incorporate them into the rice. Finally, mix in frozen peas. Continue to stir over low heat for another 2 minutes until all the peas are heated through.
- Store: This meal makes great leftovers! Store in an airtight sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Rice note: I use an Aroma 8-cup rice cooker to make my rice. You can use the stovetop and follow the directions on the rice box, or use an Instant Pot to make rice. Refrigerated leftover rice will also work. You will need about 4 + 1/2 cups of cooked rice.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 486
- Sugar: 2g
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: fried rice, bacon, eggs, breakfast, vegetables, breakfast fried rice, wok, brunch, savory