This Paleo & Whole30 Sausage Breakfast Gravy is made using almond milk, broth, coconut cream, and thickened with arrowroot flour for a gluten-free and dairy-free breakfast of champions! Serve over biscuits or potatoes for maximum comfort food status!
- 1 pound compliant breakfast seasoned ground pork sausage (I use ButcherBox)
- 1 + 1/2 cups broth (chicken or beef)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (the thick part in a can of whole fat coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch/flour + 2 tablespoons water mixed together to make a slurry (can sub cornstarch if not Whole30)
- In a Dutch oven or deep skillet, brown the ground pork breakfast sausage over medium heat, using a wooden spoon or other utensil to break the meat apart into tiny bits as it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pan into a bowl and drain the excess grease from the pan. (If using unseasoned pork sausage, add a little thyme, ground sage, salt & pepper during this step. Unseasoned is fine but the gravy will taste less “breakfasty”.)
- Place the same pan back over medium heat, and add broth, coconut cream, almond milk, ghee, and all remaining spices (rosemary, basil, garlic powder, thyme, salt & pepper). Whisk well to combine, lower heat and let the mixture simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the arrowroot flour + water slurry, adding a little at a time and then whisking, until the slurry is gone. Continue whisking frequently while the gravy thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Return the cooked pork sausage to the pan and stir to combine with the gravy. If the gravy is too thick, add 1/3 cup water and whisk. If the gravy is too thin, add 1/2 tablespoon additional arrowroot starch and whisk for an addition 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, avocado and eggs for Whole30, biscuits or toast if not Whole30. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 4 days.
Adapted from Creamy Sausage and Potato Whole30 Casserole from Whole Kitchen Sink. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
Here’s a great recipe for Whole30 Roasted Breakfast Potatoes from Eat the Gains.
- Serving Size: about 2/3 cup
- Calories: 270
- Sugar: 0g
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Protein: 14g
Keywords: gravy, breakfast, sausage, sausage gravy, whole30 breakfast