Peppermint Cocoa Roasted Nuts: Cashews and almonds coated with a sweet cocoa shell and a hint of peppermint, roasted to perfection!
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg white until white and foamy, but before any peaks begin to form. Add vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir briefly until mixed. Add the raw nuts to the egg mixture, and stir until all nuts are coated.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the nut mixture and stir until all nuts are coated and there’s little to no loose sugar mixture in the bottom of the bowl.
- Spread nuts on a large baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring halfway through. The nuts may appear a little puffed up from the egg sugar mixture, but this is normal.
- Let the nuts cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. They will seem soft when they first come out of the oven, but will harden as they cool. Stir the nuts a couple times while cooling so large clumps do not harden together.
- Store in an airtight container and consume within 3 days.
Adapted from Sugar-and-Spice Nuts from Food and Wine. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: about 1/4 cup
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g