One-pot, no chopping veggies, and done in about 35 minutes. This One-Pot Pesto Chicken and Rice is the perfect idea if you’re short on dinner prep time.
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil (separated)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, patted dry
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, stems removed
- 8 ounces fresh sliced white mushrooms
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup white jasmine or basmati or jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons traditional prepared pesto
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a deep non-stick skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs to the hot pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until browning on the bottom. Flip thighs and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes or until just browned. Remove from heat and set aside (the chicken thighs may not yet be fully cooked at this point).
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1 tablespoon additional oil to the same pan. Add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then add green beans and mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth to the pan. Let it come to a low boil and then reduce heat to low. Add rice and stir until all rice is fully saturated in liquid. Return chicken to the pan, cover, and let cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, the rice should be fully cooked and very little liquid should remain in the pan. Remove the chicken, cut it up into bite sized pieces, and return it to the pan, along with the peas and pesto. Stir until well mixed and serve immediately. Store for up to 4 days in airtight containers.
This recipe tastes best when served immediately. Unfortunately, the pesto does not keep its delicious flavor after reheating.
Inspired by One Pan Thai Coconut Yellow Curry Chicken + Rice from Ambitious Kitchen. This recipe inspired me to try cooking rice with all the other ingredients in the same pan. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: about 2 cups
- Calories: 514
- Fat: 29g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Protein: 36g