Meal Prep Italian Seasoned Chicken with Roasted Imperfect Vegetables including potatoes, cherry tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers!
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1 pound russet potatoes (3 small to medium potatoes), cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/2 pound carrots (3–5 small or medium sized carrots), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 or 2 small green bell peppers, core and stem removed, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound fresh cherry tomatoes (25–30 tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (around 2 large breasts), cut into 4 cutlets
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a large cookie sheet/baking pan with a Silpat baking sheet (aluminum foil will work but I recommend the Silpat).
- In a small bowl, combine oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, minced garlic and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon seasoning mix made in step 2. Spread potatoes over the baking tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Use the same bowl to toss the remaining vegetables with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared seasoning mix. After the 15 minutes has passed, remove the tray from the oven and add the remaining vegetables. Stir the potatoes around with the new vegetables and arrange in a single layer. Return to the oven for 15-20 more minutes and set aside to cool when done.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle about 1/4 teaspoon salt over one side of chicken fillets. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. When hot, place chicken fillets seasoned side down in the pan. Sprinkle another teaspoon salt and about half of the remaining seasoning mix over the chicken.
- Flip chicken fillets after 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining seasoning mix and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Consume immediately or divide chicken and roasted veggies between four airtight containers and store in the refrigerator. Consume within 4 days.
I used this vegetable roasting chart to help determine the cook times of these veggies. Instead of roasting the cherry tomatoes with the other veggies, you could use them to make this AMAZING Basic Garlic Butter Tomato Sauce from Pinch of Yum. I didn’t know I could make something like this in my kitchen. SO yummy!
I was originally inspired to work on an “Italian” style meal prep after my mom got me this cookbook: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
If you skipped straight to the recipe, here’s the deal with the veggies: This recipe uses Imperfect Produce, the “ugly” produce that isn’t pretty enough to make it into grocery stores. Click here to learn more (affiliate link).
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Protein: 27g