Easy recipe for a light salad with cucumbers, peppers, onions, and a simple lemon-y dressing. YUM.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken or veggie broth
- 1–2 cucumbers, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (olive oil works too)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or half of a lemon’s worth)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa per box directions, or using your rice cooker. To cook quinoa in the rice cooker, wipe the inside of the rice cooker bowl with coconut oil to reduce sticking. Add 1 cup dry quinoa with 1 can of chicken broth. Close and cook on white rice setting.
- While the quinoa is cooking, dice cucumbers, red onion, and bell pepper.
- Let the quinoa cool for a few minutes when it is done, then place it in a large bowl. Add diced vegetables, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Store in air tight container in the refrigerator. Salad is best when eaten at least 12 hours after it is made.
Add other things like olives or feta cheese to make it your own 🙂
UPDATE 3/23/17: I recently made this with rice vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar, and it received good reviews from the whole group.
Recipe adapted from Greek Quinoa Bowls by Jenn at Peas and Crayons. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: ~1 cup
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 11.1g
- Carbohydrates: 22.8g
- Protein: 4.9g
Keywords: salad, quinoa, make ahead, cucumber, dairy free