Cashew butter cup meets espresso meets crispy rice cereal!! For the ultimate freezer-friendly, coffee flavored dessert that’s naturally sweetened with maple syrup, I look no further than these Chocolate Covered Espresso Crunch Cashew Butter Cups!
- 2/3 cup creamy cashew butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened plain puffed rice (or crispy rice)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate or dark chocolate (dark chocolate will have less or no sugar added depending on the brand)
- In a medium bowl, mix cashew butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract until well mixed. Add espresso powder and sea salt, and mix again. Finally, add the puffed rice to the bowl and mix well.
- Spoon the cashew butter mixture evenly into 12 silicone baking cups or paper muffin tin liners. Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes until the nut butter cups have hardened.
- Just before you remove the butter cups from the freezer, prepare the melted chocolate by placing in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat in 10 second intervals and stir until completely melted (should take about 30-40 seconds).
- Remove the nut butter cups from the freezer and remove any baking cup liners. Place nut butter cups on a tray lined with parchment paper. Use a spoon to add about a tablespoon of melted chocolate on top of each nut butter cup. Place nut butter cups back in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened.
- Store in the freezer for up to 1 month, however they do not last that long in my house!
I use these cute little reusable silicone baking cups to make these nut butter cups! For espresso powder, I use Medaglia D’Oro Instant Espresso Powder (affiliate link) available at regular grocery stores. I also found the unsweetened puffed rice at the regular grocery store near the cereal.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 133
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Protein: 2g