A slow cooker classic!! Try this hearty bean and turkey chili with a smokey kick!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 green pepper, diced and cored
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced and cored
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 tablespoons Trader Joe’s Smoke Seasoning (or smoked paprika)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 4.5-ounce can diced green chilis
- 1 15-ounce can Great White Northern Beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- habanero pepper, diced (for additional spice)
- shredded cheese, for garnish
- green onions, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey when the oil is hot. Use a wooden spoon the break the turkey into small pieces and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Move the turkey to the edges of the pan and add all fresh vegetables (onion, pepper, jalepeño). Stir until well mixed with the ground turkey. Cook for another 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the meat is cooked through and onions are beginning to turn translucent. Drain additional liquid from the pan.
- Add cumin, chili powder, smoke seasoning and minced garlic. Stir to combine. Add entire mixture to the crock pot.
- To the crock pot, add green chilis, all beans, and tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Set the slow cooker on LOW for 6-8 hours, or HIGH for 3 hours.
- The chili is best when consumed the next day. Store in airtight containers (I like Pyrex) and enjoy within 4 days. Freeze a portion if you prefer, instead of letting it sit for more than 4 days.
- Serving Size: about 2.5 cups
- Calories: 417
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Protein: 33.1g