Craft your own bites of pasta salad with traditional pesto, fresh mozzarella, grape tomatoes and more in this DIY Chicken Pesto Pasta Skewers Meal Prep!
- 4 ounces dry bowtie farfelle pasta (about 1 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and diced into small chunks (see notes for cooking method ideas)
- 12 ounces fresh grape tomatoes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 16–20 whole pitted black olives
- 1/4 cup traditional prepared pesto
- 12–16 bamboo knot skewers or similar small skewer
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions, seasoning the water with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Once cooked, strain and rinse noodles with cold water. Add pasta to a bowl and toss with olive oil. Let it cool while you assemble the rest of the meal prep.
- Use a scale to portion your cooked chicken breast, tomatoes, and mozzarella into four portions. Add the tomatoes to one small compartment in each container, and the mozzarella to another. Top mozzarella with 1 tablespoon pesto in each container.
- Portion pasta into the large compartment of each container, weighing out 1 ounce portions if you want to be precise.
- Add chicken pieces to skewers, alternating with olives if you prefer. Add 3-4 skewers to each meal (depending on how many you made total) on top of the pasta. If you want to skip the skewers, just toss the chicken on top of the pasta.
- Store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Eat it straight from the fridge!
Chicken: Use leftover chicken or cook it up using any method you prefer. The chicken breasts pictured were cooked in the Instant Pot with 1 cup broth on high pressure for 7 minutes, seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Here’s a great oven baked method. Grilled chicken works too!
Pasta: I recommend using plain regular wheat pasta for this recipe, unless you have a brand you trust. Any healthy pasta brands I’ve tried get severely dried out when stored overnight. If you’re just looking for some good old fashioned pesto pasta, try this recipe.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 meal prep lunch
- Calories: 441
- Sugar: 6g
- Fat: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: pesto, chicken, pasta, lunch, meal prep, skewers