Ready to wake up your taste buds?! This Spicy Ground Turkey & Cabbage Stir Fry Meal Prep is a flavorful mix of ground turkey, ginger, garlic, chili sauce, fresh cabbage, and carrots served over your favorite kind of rice for the easiest meal prep I bet you’ve never tried!
- 1 1/2 cups dry white rice (or your preferred type/amount of rice)
- 2 cups water or broth (for cooking rice – adjust according to your method/directions of your specific rice)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (or liquid coconut aminos)
- 1 tablespoon toasted or untoasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (I use Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce )
- 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 pound ground turkey meat (I use 93% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut into fine shreds (OR a bag of coleslaw mix – SEE NOTE)
- 2 small-medium carrots, cut into 1 inch matchsticks (julienne)
- salt/pepper for seasoning
- Before beginning the stir fry, cook your rice according to package directions, or in your preferred method. I always cook my rice in a rice cooker or Instant Pot so it’s cooking while I cook the stir fry, but you can also do it on the stove top. Cook your rice in broth for better flavor.
- In a bowl or jar with lid, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, sriracha, and water. Stir or shake until thoroughly mixed.
- In a large deep non-stick skillet or Dutch Oven, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add ground turkey meat. Add onion powder, and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Cook the meat for about 5 minutes or until cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and ginger to the pan and stir for about 20 seconds until dispersed. Next, add shredded cabbage and carrots. Give the sauce a quick stir and add it to the pan as well. Stir thoroughly as the mixture cooks, the cabbage will reduce to about half its size. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 5-10 minutes, depending on how wilty you like your cabbage.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice – top with additional sriracha or cilantro. If meal prepping, portion into 4 airtight meal prep containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
CABBAGE NOTE: If you are shredding your own head of cabbage, please purchase the smallest one you can find! Small is generally 28 ounces or less. If you go with a medium or large cabbage, please use only half the head and save the rest for another recipe. ALTERNATIVELY, grab a 16 ounce bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix and use that instead. This will give you a bit less cabbage than a small head would, but that’s okay. You want around 6-7 cups shredded cabbage total.
Recipe adapted from Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry by Budget Bytes. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal and includes just over 1 cup of rice per serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 516
- Fat: 18g
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Protein: 29g