If you’re obsessed with squash noodles as much as I am, then you will absolutely love this Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti Bake. It’s packed with veggies, perfect spaghetti squash noodles, and has only 10g net carbs!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2-3 pounds), cut widthwise into rings (*see note)
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt (optional for salting squash)
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 pound ground turkey (can sub ground chicken, beef or pork)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, roughly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 + 1/2 cups marinara or any red pasta sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, shredded (optional)
- salt and pepper, to season
- Optional: Lay cut squash rings out on a baking sheet lined with a rack. Sprinkle both sides with salt and wait 15 minutes. Wipe away all salt and moisture that has come from inside the squash, then proceed with recipe. This helps form more “noodle-y”, less mushy, squash strands for spaghetti.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Bake squash rings for 30-45 minutes on a lined baking sheet, or until fork tender and strands pull away from the skin easily. Set aside to cool.
- Heat an oven safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat (if you do not have an oven safe skillet, use any pan and then be sure to transfer to an oven safe dish for the final baking step). When hot, add ground turkey and onion. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat, then stir occasionally and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until the meat is fully cooked through and onions are translucent. Remove the meat and onions from the pot and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, then add mushrooms and green peppers. Cook and stir occasionally for about 5-7 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released some moisture and cooked down.
- Add garlic to the pan, stir and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Remove the pot from heat. Return the meat and onions to the pan, then add red sauce, italian seasoning and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Use a fork to pull all the spaghetti squash strands away from the skin of the baked squash and add them to the pot as well. Stir everything together until well mixed. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake in the 400F oven for 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melty. Top with fresh shredded basil before serving, if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This dish makes excellent leftovers (reheat portion for 90 seconds in the microwave on High).
Squash: For the longest spaghetti-like strands possible, cut squash widthwise into rings. See above post content for an explanation and photos. Method of cooking squash from Pass the Plants, How to Cook Spaghetti Squash.
Each portion contains 10g net carbs. “Low Carb” description is based on a 50g net carb daily maximum. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal. Please note that I’ve estimated all nutrition information based on the brands and ingredients I’ve used. I would encourage you to do your own calculations based on your own ingredients.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 8g
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: spaghetti squash, dinner, make ahead, ground turkey, low carb, spaghetti