These Southwest Muffin Tin Hash Brown Egg Cups are perfect for your breakfast meal prep! Southwest hash browns with veggies, cheese, scrambled eggs, and a tiny dose of chipotle Tabasco!
- 3 tablespoons EVOO or avocado oil, separated
- 1 1/2 cups Simply Potatoes Southwest Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes (refrigerated section)
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, color of choice
- 1 cup mushrooms (about 5 oz.)
- 8 large eggs, whisked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or cheddar jack cheese
- Chipotle Pepper Tabasco Sauce, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with parchment paper baking cups (or take your chances with non-stick spray, but it doesn’t always work for me).
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons oil with hash browns. Divide hash browns evenly between the 12 cups. Use your fingers to press the hash browns down into the bottom of the muffin tin to form small cups. Bake for 25-35 minutes until edges are crispy.
- While the hash browns bake, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion, pepper, and mushrooms. Stir occasionally and cook for 6-7 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Reduce heat to low and wait about 60 seconds. Add eggs, salt and pepper to the cooked vegetables. Stirring constantly, scramble over low heat until the eggs are no longer runny, but not yet scrambled enough to eat, 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the hash browns are out of the oven, immediately divide eggs into the muffin cups using a spoon. Add a dash of chipotle pepper Tabasco, and a sprinkle of cheese to each muffin cup. Return the muffin tins to the oven and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Store in an airtight container and consume within 4-5 days. Heat in the microwave, covered, for 30-40 seconds per egg cup.
Adapted from Scrambled Egg Hash Brown Cups by Taste of Home.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 2 egg cups
- Calories: 218
- Sugar: 1g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Protein: 12g