This Instant Pot Sesame Shredded Chicken is a simple dinner entrée you can meal prep or throw together on a weeknight! Serve in salads, rice bowls, and more! Recipe includes a delicious sesame sauce to serve over the chicken!
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 medium-large)
- starch slurry for thickening (1 TB water + 1/2 TB cornstarch or arrowroot starch)
- Cook the chicken: In a small bowl or mason jar with lid, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, water, honey, tahini, sesame oil and garlic until well mixed. Add chicken breasts and just made sauce to the Instant Pot insert. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure the steam release valve is sealed. Set to Manual or Pressure Cook High for 8 minutes. After pressure cooking is done, let the Instant Pot do a Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 5 minutes (until the timer counting up says 5). Release remaining pressure after 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and shred, then set aside.
- Make the sauce: Hit the Sauté button on the Instant Pot. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water, and add it to the simmering sauce. Whisk and let the sauce simmer for 4-5 minutes until it’s slightly thickened. It will thicken more as it cools. Turn off the Instant Pot and let the sauce cool slightly before serving or storing.
- Serve or store: Enjoy immediately with sides or meal prep into portions for lunch or dinner. Store sauce mixed with chicken or separately in a jar with lid. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Tahini: This recipe works with or without the tahini. It adds a deeper sesame flavor and makes the sauce a little bit creamy. Add it if you have it, but no need to go out of your way to find it.
Chicken breast size: The 8 minute pressure cook time indicated works perfectly for 7-8 ounce chicken breasts like the ones pictured. If you are using 4-6 ounce chicken breasts, you can decrease cook time by 1-2 minutes. If you are using 10-12 ounce chicken breasts, you can increase cook time by 1-2 minutes.
Cooking methods: This recipe has only been tested using the Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 Qt model. I have not tested this with an 8 quart or small versions of the Instant Pot. Other cooking methods:
- Stovetop chicken & sauce: Use a large skillet or Dutch oven. Follow directions as normal to mix up the sauce and add it to the pan with the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165F. Remove the chicken, let it cool and shred. Make the sauce thickener by mixing 1/2 TB cornstarch with 1 TB water in a small bowl. Whisk the thickening mixture into the Dutch oven with the cooking liquid, then let the sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. It will thicken more as it cool.
- Slow cooker chicken & sauce: Mix up the sauce, then add chicken and sauce to slow cooker and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours until the chicken is done. Remove chicken and shred. Make the sauce thickener by mixing 1/2 TB cornstarch with 1 TB water in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the slow cooker, whisk, and then cook on HIGH for about 20 minutes. Remove sauce from slow cooker and set aside to cool, then use as you wish. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal, includes sauce with tahini.
- Serving Size: 4 ounces + 1/4 cup sauce
- Calories: 215
- Sugar: 7g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Protein: 29g
Keywords: main dish, entree, sesame, sesame chicken, tahini, instant pot, chicken, chicken breasts