Full of fall colors and flavors, this Radicchio & Roasted Squash Salad is a hearty addition to your Thanksgiving dinner menu that won’t take up valuable oven space! Easily prep the ingredients ahead of time and toss together before serving for a simple and elegant holiday salad for a crowd.
- 3 pound [1.3 kg] butternut squash, tough skin peeled and ends trimmed and discarded, seeded, and cut into 1-inch [2.5 cm] pieces
- 3/4 cup [180 ml] olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup [60 ml] apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 heads radicchio, each about 1/2 pound [230g], cored and thinly sliced
- Position one rack in the center of your oven and a second rack in the top third and preheat to 400F [200C]. Line two sheet pans with parchment paper.
- Divide the squash evenly between the prepared pans, then drizzle each pan with 2 tbsp of the olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss everything.
- Roast the squash, stirring once or twice along the way and switching the pans between the racks and rotating them back to front halfway through the roasting, until softened and browned, about 30 minutes. Set the squash aside to cool down a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, vinegar and garlic. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup [120 ml] olive oil to make a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved squash and the radicchio to the bowl and use your hands to combine everything gently (messy, but fun).
- Transfer the salad to a serving platter and serve immediately (or within a few hours; it holds well at room temperature).
Make-Ahead Instructions: Up to 2 days ahead: Shred the radicchio for the salad (put into a plastic bag with an ever-so-damp paper towel), roast the squash for the salad, make the salad dressing, and store all of these in the refrigerator. You can mix the salad together up to a day before, refrigerate it, and then bring it to room temperature before serving.
Reinvented Leftovers: SQUASH GRILLED CHEESE – Make delicious vegetarian sandwiches by spreading mayonnaise on both sides of two slices of bread, top with your favorite melting cheese (such as Cheddar or Muenster), and add a large handful of leftover radicchio and squash salad. Close the sandwich and cook in a skillet until browned on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 1 1/2 minutes per side (the mayonnaise will help the exterior brown). Serve with mustard and pickles.
Recipe written by Julia Turshen; reproduced and reprinted with permission from Now & Again; Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus, and Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 182
- Sugar: 4g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 16g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 1g
Keywords: salad, squash, for a crowd, side dish, make ahead