The PERFECT meal for your next camping trip, sure to please all! Boil the noodles at home for quick cooking at the campsite!
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 10 ounce can mild diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk (NOT condensed milk)
- 16 ounces shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 pound cooked macaroni noodles (cooked at home before your trip! see note)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat (a camp stove works great). When hot, add onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to turn translucent.
- Add green chilies, salt, smoked paprika and evaporated milk. Stir until mixed. When the mixture begins to lightly simmer after 2-3 minutes, add cheese and stir until all the cheese is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add the noodles. Stir until everything is cheesy, and serve!
Noodles: I cook the macaroni at home the night before we leave. Rinse it with cold water and store it in the Ziploc with some oil and it should be good to go until it’s mac time.
Cheese: You can add more or less cheese to your taste. I’ve also made this recipe with only 8 ounces of white cheddar cheese, and then added some King Arthur Vermont White Cheddar powder. That’s taking it up a notch.
Adapted from Camping Mac n’ Cheese by HapaNom.com – Thank you for the idea to use evaporated milk in mac and cheese!
- Serving Size: 1/8 of pot
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 15g