The best Pesto Chicken Mozzarella Sandwich features perfectly tender chicken breast smothered in fresh mozzarella, basil pesto, tomatoes, and a simple pesto mayo on the bun. Enjoy with homemade fries and a side salad!
- 1 medium to large boneless skinless chicken breast (10–12 ounces)
- about 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons traditional basil pesto, divided
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 small tomato, sliced for topping
- Prepare the chicken: Place the boneless skinless chicken breast on a cutting board. Using a sharp chef’s knife, cut in half horizontally to create two thin sliced pieces. Next, cover the chicken loosely with plastic wrap and use a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to pound the chicken, until both pieces are tenderized and thinned out to about 1/2 an inch or so. Season both sides of each piece of chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate while you prepare the pesto mayo and buns.
- Prepare the buns & mayo: In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with teaspoon or so of pesto mayo until well mixed. Cut your buns in half (or use your favorite bread – sourdough would be great too) and toast both sides to your liking (I used a toaster oven).
- Cook the chicken: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add the raw chicken to the pan using tongs. Cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, then flip. Cook for another 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add sliced mozzarella cheese, then cover the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted. Check to ensure the chicken has reached 165F, then remove from heat. Add a spoonful of remaining pesto to each chicken breast, then cover lid with a lid to rest briefly while you prepare the buns.
- Assemble & serve: Slather the pesto mayo on your buns, then add a pesto mozzarella covered chicken breast to each bun. Add a slice of tomato or two and place bun on top. Serve with fries or potato wedges and a side salad!
- Store & reheat: Save any remaining cooked chicken (without pesto if possible) in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop in the same way it was cooked, or in the air fryer for 4-6 minutes at 350F.
Easily double or triple this recipe and cook chicken in batches if necessary. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 580
- Fat: 31g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Protein: 43g
Keywords: sandwich, chicken sandwich, pesto chicken, dinner, pesto, mozzarella, stovetop, chicken breast