These Meal Prep Unstuffed Pepper Bowls are loaded with flavor and packed with veggies like zucchini, onion, tomatoes, and peppers, of course! Pair with your fave rice or other side for the perfect make-ahead lunch!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice of choice + cooking liquid
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 teaspoon each fine sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 2 green bell peppers, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, extra liquid drained
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella or pepper jack cheese
- Cook rice: Prepare your preferred rice according to package directions in water or broth (I generally make jasmine rice with chicken broth in my Instant Pot).
- Cook the meat: Place a large deep non-stick skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot, add ground beef, salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Cook the meat for about 4-5 minutes or until just barely cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the veggies: While the meat continues to cook, add the peppers and onions to the same pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and zucchini, and cook for another 2 minutes. Finally, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, along with salt & pepper to season. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes, letting it simmer and bubble, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. If serving immediately, add cheese and cover for 90 seconds to melt. If meal prepping, add cheese to individual containers to more easily control portioning.
- Meal prep it: Add about 1/2 cup or so cooked rice to each of four meal prep containers. Portion the unstuffed pepper mixture into each meal prep container and add a heavy sprinkle of cheese. Store for up to four days in the refrigerator, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Zucchini is optional – I added it because it’s zucchini season and veggies are good for you! Skip the zucchini to reduce volume and keep this recipe at 4 servings.
Adapted from Stuffed Bell Peppers from Food Network. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 meal prep bowl
- Calories: 645
- Sugar: 11g
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 77g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: stuffed peppers, bell peppers, unstuffed peppers, meal prep, lunches, make ahead, lunch