Big batch pizza sauce recipe to prep and freeze so you can have homemade pizza sauce in 10 minutes, anytime!
- 1 tablespoon EVOO or avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree (San Marzano tomatoes)
- 1 28-ounce can peeled tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes)
- 5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
To make the pizza sauce:
- In a large soup or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook until beginning to turn translucent, or 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic to the pot and stir until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Add all remaining ingredients to the pot and stir until well mixed. Use a wooden spoon to gently crush the peeled tomatoes against the side of the pot (for about 30 seconds) until the sauce has reached your desired consistency.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool fully before freezing (you can also use some right away and freeze the rest).
To freeze the sauce:
- Once the sauce is cool, carefully pour a small amount into each section of an ice cube tray. Freeze for 3 hours or until completely frozen. Remove the sauce cubes from the tray and store in a freezer bag or airtight container. Store the leftover sauce in the fridge while it waits to be cubed and frozen.
- Repeat until all the sauce is gone. This takes about 3 normal trays worth (4 if the cubes are smaller) and makes approximately 36 cubes. Note: Your ice cube tray MIGHT stain from red sauce if you leave the sauce in the tray for a long period of time, although mine did not.
To reheat the sauce:
- Place sauce cubes in a small Ziploc and seal completely, removing as much air from the bag as possible. Fill a deep bowl with hot water and submerge the bag of cubes until thawed, about 10 minutes.
- Two sauce cubes equals approximately 1/4 cup of sauce.
- For one mini (12 inch) Boboli pizza crust, 2 cubes of sauce is perfect. For a large pizza, you will need 4-5 cubes.
- Use on pizza, pasta, garlic bread, or anywhere you might normally use pizza sauce!
Note: You don’t HAVE to use San Marzano tomatoes, but it makes the best pizza sauce!
Adapted from Basic Pizza Sauce Recipe from The Food Network.
- Serving Size: 2 cubes (1/4 cup)
- Calories: 35
- Sugar: 3g
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 1g