Four mini pizza crusts in the freezer for emergencies!! Using SUPER cheap Trader Joe’s dough!
- 16 ounces Trader Joe’s premade pizza dough (I use whole wheat, but any variety will work)
- at least 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- non-stick cooking spray
- Remove the dough from the packaging and set it on a clean surface sprinkled with flour. Cover with a towel and let it come to room temperature (about 20-25 minutes). It should also expand slightly.
- When the dough is nearly ready, pre-heat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Spray a pizza crisper pan (any large flat baking pan will work if you don’t have a pizza pan) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Rub your clean hands with a small amount of flour and gently roll the dough into a loose ball. Use a knife to cut down the middle and from left to right into four even quarters.
- Separate the quarters. One at a time, gently roll each quarter of dough in your hand until a ball is formed.
- One by one, form each dough ball into an 8-inch in diameter pizza crust by doing the following: Start with flour on your rolling pin and the surface. Roll the dough ball 1-2 times up and down with the rolling pin. Pick up the dough, rotate 90 degrees, and roll the dough ball again 1-2 times up and down. Repeat this process 4-6 times until your dough is about 8-inches in diameter.
- Leave your crust edges alone or use the pinch and fold method described and pictured in the post above.
- Use a fork to gently make random holes in the crust bottom to eliminate air bubbles. This doesn’t tend to be a problem with TJ’s dough but I like to think this helps.
- Arrange all four mini crusts on the prepared pizza pan, moving each one gently as they are completed. Bake the crusts in the oven for 9 minutes. The crust should be just barely turning golden brown in a couple spots.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool on a baking sheet.
- For immediate use, lower the oven temperature to 400. Top with your toppings and bake for 7-9 minutes or until crust is golden brown. To freeze, cool completely and then store in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- From the refrigerator: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top the crust with your choice of toppings. Bake directly on the oven rack for 10-13 minutes, or until golden brown and melty cheese. Optional: Brush the crusts with oil and minced garlic to keep them from getting too dry.
- From the freezer: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Top the crust with your choice of toppings. Bake directly on the oven rack for 13-16 minutes, or until golden brown and melty cheese.
Stores for up to 3 months in the freezer or 3 days in the refrigerator. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal. Update: Video added on 5/20/17.
- Serving Size: 1 mini pizza crust
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Protein: 10g