You won’t be able to resist these veggie packed burgers filled with peppers, onions, garlic, and a can of black beans! Freezer Friendly Black Bean Burgers are SO easy to prepare ahead, freeze, and reheat whenever you need a quick meal!
- 1 jalapeño, stem and seeds removed, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 green bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 small white onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- make it a burger: buns, greens, avocado, pesto goat cheese pictured – any toppings work great!
- Place rinsed beans on a plate lined with a paper towel to help remove excess moisture. Place another paper towel over the beans and pat dry.
- Add the large vegetable chunks to a food processor and pulse until finely diced. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Next, add black beans, eggs, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper to the food processor bowl. Process on high until blended with fine chunks remaining – it should resemble something along the lines of a thick black bean soup.
- Transfer the black bean mixture to a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until well mixed. Refrigerate for 20 minutes to help the mixture firm up.
- Form six burger patties from the mixture and set them on a flat tray. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place burgers into the pan and cook for 6-7 minutes or until browned, then flip and cook for another 6 minutes until browned. Serve on a bun with all your favorite toppings!
- Place the cooked burgers on a flat tray and let them cool completely.
- Once cool, place the entire tray in the freezer until the burgers are frozen solid, 3-4 hours.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and transfer the burgers into an airtight freezer safe container. Return the burgers in the container to the freezer until you need them.
- From the fridge: Cook in the microwave on High for 60 seconds OR heat in a pan on the stove over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
- From the freezer: Cook in the microwave on High for 90 seconds OR heat in a pan on the stove over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.
Recipe adapted from Homemade Black Bean Burgers from All Recipes. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal and includes black bean patty only.
- Serving Size: 1 burger patty
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 24g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: veggie burger, vegetarian, black beans, black bean burger, burger, dinner, main dish