My Easy Freezer-Friendly Meatballs are deliciously juicy and make such a simple weeknight main dish! I use ground beef and pork, plus some traditional pesto to give the best flavor. Cooking from frozen directions included!
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup traditional basil pesto
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Make mixture: Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Using your hands (you can use gloves), combine everything together until just mixed. Cover and place in the fridge for 20 minutes to an hour.
- Prep meatballs: Preheat the oven to 375F if cooking in the oven. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Use a 2 tablespoon volume cookie scoop to form the meatballs and place the amount you want to cook directly on the sheet pan, about one inch apart (I usually cook half and freeze half). If you use a smaller scooper, reduce cooking time by a couple minutes.
- Cook meatballs:
- Oven: Place fresh meatballs into the oven and cook for 20-23 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Air fryer: Place fresh meatballs into the air fryer basket in a single layer, not touching each other. Air fry for 9-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Stovetop: Place meatballs and 2 cups sauce into a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When sauce begins to bubble, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the meatballs reaches 160F.
- Serve & store: Serve over pasta with your favorite sauce, or on sandwich rolls with some sauce and melty cheese. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Freezer prep & reheat: Line a sheet pan (that fits into your freezer) with parchment paper. Place remaining raw formed meatballs on to the sheet pan. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight, and then place all frozen meatballs into an airtight freezer safe container (I use a silicone Stasher bag). Freeze for up to 3-4 months.
- Cook in the oven: Preheat oven to 375F. Place frozen raw meatballs on a foil lined rimmed sheet pan. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Cook in the air fryer: Place frozen raw meatballs into the air fryer basket. Air fry at 350F for 12-14 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
Meat options: You can use ground turkey or ground chicken in place of one or both pounds of meat, but be sure to cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F for poultry instead of 160F. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 368
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Protein: 22g
Keywords: meatballs, pork, beef, ground meat, main dish, protein, dinner, meatball