Sneak some spinach into your chocolate muffins! These Chocolate Spinach Blender Muffins are made with rolled oats, packed with spinach, and sweetened with bananas and maple syrup for a family friendly make-ahead breakfast or anytime snack!
- 1 + 3/4 cups rolled oats (not steel cut oats)
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 very ripe small bananas, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 2 big handfuls of spinach leaves (about 3.5 oz, 3 cups packed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350. Use cooking spray to grease a 12 count muffin pan.
- Make oat flour: Add rolled oats to a high speed blender such as a Vitamix, place the lid on, and pulse on high until the oats have been processed into a powder (20-30 seconds). It’s okay if it looks a little clumpy.
- Mix dry ingredients: Pour the freshly made oat flour from the blender bowl into a medium mixing bowl. Add the natural cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and instant espresso powder to the oat flour and whisk it together. Set aside for now.
- Blend wet ingredients: To the now empty blender, add the wet ingredients: bananas, egg, spinach, vanilla, coconut oil, maple syrup, and milk. Blend these ingredients together on high until completely smooth and mixed together. The mixture will be very green!
- Put it together: On top of the green smoothie mixture in the blender, add the oat flour mixture. Blend again until smooth and no dry pockets remain. Scrape down the sides if necessary. Add the chocolate chips and use a rubber spatula or scraper tool to mix.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a greased 12-count muffin tin. Top with additional chocolate chips if desired! Bake in a preheated 350F degree oven for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Store: These muffins will last up to 5 days kept in a sealed container at room temperature. They will last up to 3 months in a sealed container in the freezer.
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 203
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: breakfast, muffins, spinach muffins, blender muffins, chocolate spinach, chocolate muffins