All the best chicken fajita flavors with peppers and onions, in casserole form!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (3–4 breasts) (can sub any leftover pre-cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken)
- 3 cups dry brown rice noodles (can sub any noodles)
- 4 tablespoons olive or avocado oil (separated)
- 1 red bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, cut into 1.5–2 inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, cut into 1.5–2 inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stem/seeds removed, cut into 1.5–2 inch strips
- 2 jalapeños, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 1.5–2 inch long strips
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for a little extra spice)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole fat greek yogurt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar jack (or blend) cheese, separated
Toppings: cilantro, avocado, salsa, olives, etc
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch casserole dish with aluminum foil.
- Place chicken breasts in the dish, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, flip and sprinkle with another 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes (time will vary depending on thickness of chicken). Move on to next steps while chicken is cooking. When the chicken has reached 165 degrees F inside, set aside to cool. Shred or chop into 1 inch cubes when cooled.
- While the chicken is cooking, prep all vegetables. Remove seeds, stem, and chop jalapeños. Remove seeds and stem from bell peppers, and cut into 2-inch strips. Cut onion into 2-inch strips.
- Heat a salted pot of water at high heat until boiling. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Strain and set aside to cool when done. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to avoid sticking while cooling.
- In a large deep skillet or Dutch Oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. When hot, add all vegetables to the skillet. Add lime juice, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook for 9-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onions begin to turn translucent. Turn off the burner but leave the skillet on the hot burner.
- Add cubed or shredded chicken, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir until well mixed and seasoning is evenly dispersed. Add cream cheese, greek yogurt, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until well mixed.
- Remove the foil from the 9×13 casserole dish. Leave any leftover chicken juices. Dump entire mixture into the casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Optional – broil for 3 minutes at the end to crisp the top. Watch it carefully.
- Top with avocado, cilantro, salsa, or your favorite fajita toppings.
Prep ahead for this recipe by cooking chicken, chopping veggies, and pre-measuring your spices a day before. This recipe reheats very easily in the microwave. Perfect for lunches or dinners. Inspired by Chicken Fajitas Recipe from Stupid Easy Paleo. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of casserole
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 17g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Protein: 33g
Keywords: casserole, fajitas