You won’t believe how easy it is to make this classic sandwich in your air fryer! Same ingredients, new and improved method that’s less time consuming than the stovetop. Here’s how to make an Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
- 2 slices of bread (not too thin!)
- 1 – 1.5 ounces cheese, sliced (cheddar, monterey jack, colby, etc. or a combo)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened or melted (* see notes on substitutions)
- Butter the bread: Start by buttering one side of two slices of bread, using a butter knife for soft butter or a pastry brush for melted butter.
- Make the sandwich: Place one slice of the bread, buttered side down, in the air fryer basket. Layer cheese slices on the bread, without going over the edge. Place the other piece of bread on top, buttered side up. If your bread is very thin, it may fly off with the fast air movement of the air fryer. Use a toothpick to hold the sandwich together!
- Cook: Air fry at 375F for 4 minutes, then flip the sandwich carefully and air fry for another 4 minutes. And it’s done! Cheesy, melty, crispy goodness!!
Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal.
Butter: Better flavor, more traditional, more golden brown, DELICIOUS, however it is butter 🤷♀️
Spray oil: Quicker, faster, probably healthier, but it does not have the restaurant buttery taste 🧈
Mayo: Added this because it’s a common one! I’ve done it and I don’t see the hype, however it is an option if you’re out of butter!
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 485
- Fat: 26g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Protein: 16g
Keywords: sandwich, air fryer, grilled cheese, cheese, bread, lunch, easy, butter