Air Fryer Flour Tortilla Bowls are a must for your next taco salad night! So crispy and easy to make, these tortilla bowls will make you feel like you ordered from a restaurant! Directions included for both taco size and burrito size tortillas!
- flour tortillas, 8-inch (taco size) or 10-inch (burrito size)
- 2 oven safe bowls, stainless steel recommended (more info in recipe)
- avocado oil spray
- Gather ingredients: Gather your tortillas, avocado oil spray, and corresponding oven safe bowls to form the shape of your flour tortilla bowl.
- For an 8-inch taco size flour tortilla, I used a 6-inch diameter stainless steel metal bowl as the outer bowl, and a 3-inch diameter glass Pyrex bowl as the inner bowl (see photos above for this setup). The inner bowl is necessary to keep air bubbles from forming in the center of the tortilla – any similar size oven safe object would work here. This is the size to make if you have a smaller air fryer.
- For a 10-inch burrito size flour tortilla, I used an 8-inch diameter stainless steel metal bowl as the outer bowl, and a 6-inch diameter stainless steel metal bowl as the inner bowl. The inner bowl in necessary to keep air bubbles from forming in the tortilla – any similar size oven safe object would work here. You will need a larger 5+ quart air fryer for this size.
- Prep: Preheat your air fryer to 350F for 3 minutes. Lay one flour tortilla on a cutting board and spray lightly with oil. Place the tortilla, oil side down, into the large outer bowl, and use your hands to press the tortilla into the bowl to form a bowl shape. Spray the tortilla lightly with oil again, and put the inner bowl on top of the tortilla (check the photos in the post content above for my setup).
- Cook: Air fry tortilla bowls one at a time following these steps:
- Place your prepared bowls & tortilla setup into the air fryer. Air fry at 350F for 5 minutes. This step helps form the tortilla bowl.
- Open the air fryer and use tongs to remove the outer bowl from the tortilla mold setup, but leave the tortilla and inner bowl. Air fry at 350F for another 3-4 minutes. This step helps to brown the outside of the tortilla bowl. The inner bowl acts as a weight and keeps air bubbles from forming in the center of the tortilla.
- If you are happy with your tortilla bowl, you can finish here. If you want some additional browning on the inside of the tortilla bowl, remove the inner bowl from the air fryer and flip the tortilla bowl over. Air fry at 350F for an additional 1-2 minutes, watching closely for your preferred crispness. Flipping the bowl over keeps the bowl from flying around in the air fryer, and it helps brown the bottom and the inside of the tortilla bowl, if desired.
- Serve: Tortilla bowls can be made a few hours ahead of time and left out until serving. Serve with your favorite taco salad ingredients – I like mixed greens, ground taco seasoned meat, avocado, tomatoes, salsa and cheese. Another option is to grab one of those southwest style taco kits and serve with protein.
Nutrition info varies highly based on your chosen tortillas. Nutrition information estimated with My Fitness Pal based on a taco sized flour tortilla.
- Serving Size: 1 tortilla bowl
- Calories: 129
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Protein: 3g
Keywords: air fryer, tortilla bowl, taco salad, taco salad bowl, tortillas, air fryer recipes, easy recipe, salad bowl