I’ve found that meal prep is easier in the fall and winter months. Those foods are just naturally prone to cooking in large batches that heat up the house… which is great when it’s not summer. Summer has salads, rice and quinoa bowls, which are delicious when it’s warm. But when Fall rolls around, I feel like there’s no food style or prep method off limits. Soups, casseroles, lasagna, slow-cooker EVERYTHING… all belong here. (FYI Pizza is a year ’round thing.) I’m so excited for this season to arrive because I’m ready to fill up the meal plan index with yummy batches of meal prep goodness. Thanks for checking out the Sunday Meal Prep for September 25th, 2016.
Goals: 1,700 calories a day, made up of 30% carbohydrates, 35% fat, and 35% protein (MyFitnessPal says this equals approximately 127g of carbohydrates, 66g of fat, and 149g of protein). In addition: 1) reduce costs and food waste, 2) help provide meal plan examples and preparation steps for any individual, and 3) promote healthy choices by having meals and meal components ready when there’s less time to cook.
Meal Plan for September 26-30
C: 134 g
F: 55 g
P: 147 g
C: 153 g
F: 61 g
P: 148 g
C: 137 g
F: 63 g
P: 150 g
C: 130 g
F: 64 g
P: 158 g
C: 143 g
F: 69 g
P: 146 g
|Breakfast||Plain greek yogurt, blueberries, pistachios||Plain greek yogurt, blueberries, pistachios, honey||Plain greek yogurt, blueberries, pistachios||Plain greek yogurt, blueberries, pistachios, honey||Plain greek yogurt, blueberries, pistachios|
|Lunch||Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep||Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep||Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep||Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep||Pesto Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash|
|Dinner||Classic Turkey Chili||Classic Turkey Chili||Classic Turkey Chili||Pesto Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash||Classic Turkey Chili|
|Snacks||Carrots, hummus, parm cheese crisps||Almonds, parm cheese crisps||Carrots, hummus, parm cheese crisps, almonds||Carrots, hummus, parm cheese crisps||Carrots, hummus, parm cheese crisps|
What we’ll accomplish on Sunday:
- Crock pot of Classic Turkey Chili dinner
- 4 servings of Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep for lunches
- Portioned weekly snacks (if you pack them to-go)
Supplies List (for one person):
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 to 1.25 pounds ground turkey
- large container of plain greek yogurt (with at least 5 servings)
- 4 oz (56g) flat brown rice noodles
- 1 small bag mozzarella cheese
- 1 serving (or 1/3 cup) plain greek yogurt
- bag of pistachios (shells removed)
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can white or great northern beans
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 container of hummus
- parmesan cheese crisps
- sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1 carton of fresh blueberries
- 1 lime
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 white onion
- 1 bag baby carrots
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1.5 cup bean sprouts
- spaghetti squash
- spinach (for Thursday)
**SOME ITEMS ARE NOTED “FOR THURSDAY”. FOR BEST QUALITY, PURCHASE THESE ITEMS LATER IN THE WEEK.
- olive oil
- non-stick cooking spray
- Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning
- taco seasoning
- garlic paste
- fish sauce
- soy sauce
- red chili pepper paste
- coconut sugar
- large skillet
- slow-cooker or crock pot
- meat thermometer
- Kitchen scale
- 4-cup Pyrex bowls for lunches, and large Pyrex bowls
Sunday Meal Prep Steps:
- [20 minutes] Begin with the chili, as this will cook for several hours and you want to get it going first. Pick a meat (I use ground turkey), pick some vegetables (green pepper, onion, jalapeños for me), 2 cans of diced tomatoes or Rotel, and 3-4 cans of beans. Brown the meat over medium-high heat and add diced veggies to the pan. After the veggies have cooked for a couple minutes, add the mixture to the crockpot. Add the beans and tomatoes to the crock pot. Habaneros add some HUGE heat (if you want).
- [5 minutes] Season it literally however you want. This week, I put the TJ’s South African Smoke Seasoning, just to try a smokey version. Some basics: cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, taco seasoning, or chili pepper. Some extras: cayenne pepper, Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning, Smoke seasoning, basil, oregano. You can always taste test it later.
- [5 minutes] Mix everything together and set on low for 6-8 hours.
- [35 minutes] For the Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep, I increased the amount of chicken to 2 pounds to produce 4 lunch size servings. Check out the recipe for Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep by FitMenCook.com.
- [10 minutes] Portion out any snacks you want for the week.
- [5 minutes] When it’s done, portion out your chili. I prefer to use 4-cup Pyrex bowls.
Total Active Time Estimate: 1 hour, 20 minutes
This week’s featured recipes:
Healthy Chicken Pad Thai Meal Prep by FitMenCook.com – Monday – Thursday Lunch – Love this recipe and it’s meal prep focus!
Pesto Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash – Thursday Dinner/Friday Lunch
Classic Turkey Chili – Okay, so I actually didn’t get this recipe from anywhere. I started making crock pot chili when I met my husband (I steal his best ideas). I made my own changes and came up with a new version, which I used to take to work ALL the time. You’ll see a post for it soon! Until then, I’ve kept it vague so you can add your own twist.
I made a couple changes to the Sunday Meal Prep presentation this week. I think it will help keep the page clear and concise, as well as focus on the delicious recipes and photos you probably want to see. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Tag @projectmealplan on social media if you meal prep! I’d love to see what you’ve created! And follow me on Pinterest for meal inspiration every single day 🙂