Roasted veggies are on the mind this week! Along with meatballs, and my personal breakfast favorite/comfort food: classic egg + veggie scrambles. Our first fall storms are hitting us hard in the PNW – and any of this food would be sweet to have ready so you don’t have to go ANYWHERE in the wind and rain. The Sunday Meal Prep for October 16th, 2016 is here, along with my hair never staying straight ever again.
You might notice the Friday evening treat – a LITERAL pint of ice cream. Halo Top Birthday Cake Light Ice Cream. This is not a joke. This ice cream is revolutionary. It’s everything you wanted in ice cream, but never thought could be true. The Birthday Cake flavor has only 280 calories, and packs 24g of protein. It tastes AMAZING. Low-sugar, high-protein, and all natural. Couldn’t ask for more. Seriously, check out Halo Top now. I picked up a pint at QFC. It’s everything. Including your Friday night treat.
1) Reduce costs and food waste
2) Save time during busy week days
3) Help provide simple strategies, examples and meal preparation steps that are beneficial to almost anyone
4) Have healthy choices planned, prepared and available to reduce impulse eating
Meal Plan for October 17-21
|Breakfast||Veggie Scramble, Turkey Bacon||Veggie Scramble, Turkey Bacon||PB Banana Berry Protein Smoothie||Scramble, Turkey Bacon||PB Banana Berry Protein Smoothie|
|Lunch||Baked Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Veggies, Quinoa||Baked Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Veggies, Quinoa||Baked Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Veggies, Quinoa||Baked Turkey Meatballs, Roasted Veggies, Quinoa||Tuna Lettuce Wraps|
|Dinner||Crock Pot White Chicken Chili||Crock Pot White Chicken Chili||Crock Pot White Chicken Chili||Crock Pot White Chicken Chili||Zucchini Chicken "Lo-Mein"|
|Snacks||Apple and Peanut Butter, Parm Crisps||Protein Shake, Apple and Peanut Butter||Turkey Pepperoni, Parm Crisps||Protein Shake, Apple and Peanut Butter, Parm Crisps||Halo Top Birthday Cake Light Ice Cream|
What we’ll accomplish on Sunday, October 16th:
- Cooked turkey bacon for breakfasts
- Chopped veggies for breakfast scrambles on Monday and Tuesday
- Smoothie freezer packs for Wednesday and Friday breakfast
- Spicy Baked Turkey Spinach Meatballs with quinoa, red sauce, and roasted veggies for four lunches
- Crock Pot White Chicken Chili for dinners
Supplies List (for one person):
- pack of turkey bacon (or your choice of breakfast meat), enough for 3-4 servings at least
- 1 pound (16-ounces) ground turkey meat (93% lean)
- about 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ablacore tuna, 6 ounces
- dry quinoa, 1 cup
- 2 cans of chicken broth
- grated parmesan cheese
- shredded cheddar cheese
- frozen fruit (blueberries, strawberries)
- vanilla protein powder
- can (15 ounces) Great Northern Beans
- can (15 ounces) Red Kidney Beans
- 2 cans (10 ounces) green chilies
- can (15 ounces) corn kernels
- can (12 ounces) light beer
- light or olive oil mayo
- sour cream (chili topping)
- white onion
- yellow onion
- cooked baby spinach (5 ounces), get fresh as well for smoothies
- whole romaine lettuce leaves (for Friday)
- green pepper
- 2 red peppers (one for Friday)
- 3 stalks of celery (for Friday)
- mushrooms, whole
- 3 zucchini (two for Friday)
- head of broccoli
- sweet potato
- 2 bananas
- avocado (chili topping)
**SOME ITEMS ARE NOTED “FOR FRIDAY”. FOR BEST QUALITY, PURCHASE THESE ITEMS LATER IN THE WEEK.
- parmesan cheese crisps
- turkey pepperoni
- protein bars/shakes
- Halo Top Birthday Cake Light Ice Cream
- olive oil or avocado oil
- dried basil
- dried parsley
- garlic powder
- dried rosemary
- dried thyme
- red pepper flakes
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- peanut butter
- bread crumbs
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- toasted sesame oil
- basalmic vinegar
- coconut oil
- cornstarch or other thickener
- large skillet or dutch oven
- rice cooker
- slow-cooker or crock pot
- meat thermometer
- Kitchen scale
- 4-cup Pyrex bowls for lunches, and large Pyrex bowls
Sunday Meal Prep Steps:
- [15 minutes] Begin by getting the crock pot out and working on the chili. Follow the recipe for Crock Pot White Chicken Chili from Diethood. This recipe will take the longest, so start it first. Chili recipes like this one are highly customizable, if you wish (for example, I don’t like corn so I always sub green peppers in my chili).
- [10 minutes] Next, begin working on the Spicy Baked Turkey Spinach Meatballs. Follow the recipe and mix all ingredients together. Move on to the next step when the meat mixture is hanging out in the refrigerator for at least an HOUR (vital to flavorful meatballs).
- [10 minutes] Start the quinoa in the rice cooker which will be put with meatballs and veggies for lunches. Grease the rice cooker bowl with coconut oil. Add 1 cup dry quinoa and 1 can (or 2 cups) of chicken broth or water. Set on rice setting (this will take around 40 minutes or so depending on your rice cooker).
- [25 minutes] Prepare your knife and cutting board to cut all the veggies. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut the following vegetables and put them in an airtight container for the next couple days’ breakfasts: 1 white onion, diced; 1 green pepper, diced; 5-6 mushrooms, sliced. Cut the following vegetables into bite-sized pieces and put them in a large bowl to prepare for roasting: 1 zucchini, 1 butternut squash, 1 red pepper, 1 head of broccoli, and 1 sweet potato. Add whole mushrooms to the bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoons dried thyme, 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, and a large pinch of salt. Mix thoroughly to coat all veggies, and spread veggies on two sheet trays or cookie sheets. Don’t crowd the veggies! When the oven is ready, put the sheet pans in the oven. Check after 18 minutes, roast for 20-23 minutes. Clean up while the veggies roast and the turkey meatball mixture continues to rest in the refrigerator.
- [10 minutes] Remove the roasted veggies from the oven and let them cool completely before separating into 4 or more Pyrex 4-cup lunch bowls. When the quinoa is done, portion that into the same four containers for lunch. Store containers in the refrigerator (the meatballs will be added when they are done).
- [15 minutes] Reduce the oven heat to 400 degrees. After at least an hour, take the meatball mixture out of the fridge and continue to follow the recipe to cook meatballs.
- [25 minutes] While the meatballs are cooking, begin to cook your bacon as the package recommends. When the meatballs are 165 degrees inside, let them cool while you continue to cook the bacon. Store bacon in a large Ziploc with paper towels to absorb moisture/grease.
- [10 minutes] Portion out your meatballs into the same Pyrex bowls (3 or 4 meatballs each) to go with the roasted veggies and quinoa. Lunches through Thursday are ready. Dishes, etc.
- [10 minutes] Prepare two freezer smoothie packs by adding 2 cups frozen blueberries and strawberries with one banana in each Ziploc. Store in the freezer for smoothies on Wednesday and Friday.
- [10 minutes] When the chili is done, store in long/thin containers if possible for quick cooling, or Pyrex containers.
Total Active Time Estimate: 2 hours 20 minutes
This Week’s Featured Recipes:
Peanut Butter Banana Berry Protein Smoothie – Easy to pack fruits in the freezer to quickly blend or throw in the Nutribullet on later days of the week. Perfect for anytime 🙂
Spicy Baked Turkey Spinach Meatballs – PREP MADE EASY right here. Meatballs are even better reheated and go with pretty much anything.
Zucchini Chicken “Lo-Mein” – Classic weeknight dinner for Friday. Easy and quick to prepare, best when eaten right away!
Thanks for checking out the Sunday Meal Prep for October 16th, 2016. Any feedback is appreciated so I can improve the Sunday Meal Prep posts every week. Tag @projectmealplan on social media if you meal prep! I’d love to see what you’ve created! And follow me on Pinterest for meal inspiration every single day 🙂
Check out the details of this week’s meal plan logged in the Project Meal Plan My Fitness Pal Diary.