This week, we’ve been sampling some new meal prep containers! I’m planning to have my first product review post out shortly where I’ll discuss the new containers in more detail. This week we’re testing them – making sure they don’t melt in the dishwasher or microwave, etc. I want to make sure they live up the claims before making any recommendations, you know? There are a zillion types of meal prep containers out there, and some are better than others. But I don’t think there’s any one kind of container that serves ALL purposes, which is why I want to share information on any I come across. I’m sure certain kinds work better for certain people, depending on your needs. But for now, check out the Sunday Meal Prep for December 4th, 2016. Oh, and Happy Birthday, Mom!
If you’ve read my other meal plans or Sunday Meal Prep posts, you’ll know that this meal plan is just a guideline with examples for you to build on for yourself. Check out my Pinterest page for other delicious looking recipes to fit any style or need.
A couple of notes for this week: 1) To reduce the amount of the Slow Cooker BBQ Black Bean Sweet Potatoes so it makes 4 servings instead of 6, reduce sweet potatoes from 3 to 2, or find small sweet potatoes. 2) For breakfast veggie scrambles, I tend to use only whatever veggies we have around. I don’t normally buy veggies just for breakfast scrambles (unless it’s for the whole week).
Planning Goals: 1,700 calories a day, made up of 30% carbohydrates, 35% fat, and 35% protein (MyFitnessPal says this equals approximately 127g of carbohydrates, 66g of fat, and 149g of protein).
1) Reduce costs and food waste
2) Save time during busy week days
3) Help provide simple strategies, examples and meal preparation steps that are beneficial to almost anyone
4) Have healthy choices planned, prepared and available to reduce impulse eating
Meal Plan for December 5-9
C: 134 g
F: 60 g
P: 155 g
C: 137 g
F: 59 g
P: 155 g
C: 134 g
F: 60 g
P: 155 g
C: 137 g
F: 61 g
P: 157 g
C: 128 g
F: 73 g
P: 132 g
|Breakfast||Blueberry Greek Yogurt & Almonds||Egg, Cheese & Pepper Scramble||Blueberry Greek Yogurt & Almonds||Blueberry Greek Yogurt & Almonds||Egg, Cheese & Pepper Scramble|
|Lunch||Lemon Pepper Chicken, BBQ Black Bean Sweet Potatoes, Veggies||Lemon Pepper Chicken, BBQ Black Bean Sweet Potatoes, Veggies||Lemon Pepper Chicken, BBQ Black Bean Sweet Potatoes, Veggies||Lemon Pepper Chicken, BBQ Black Bean Sweet Potatoes, Veggies||Turkey Wrap with Greens & Pesto Mayo|
|Dinner||Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole||Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole||Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole||Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole||Thin Crust Pizza|
|Snacks||Carrots & Hummus, Baby Bel Cheese||Apple & PB, Roasted Chickpeas, Baby Bel Cheese||Carrots & Hummus, Baby Bel Cheese||Parm Crisps, Apples & PB||Protein Bar, Parm Crisps, Turkey Jerky|
See more detail on Project Meal Plan’s My Fitness Pal account.
What you’ll accomplish on Sunday:
- Lemon Pepper Chicken, BBQ Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes, and roasted veggies for Monday-Thursday lunch
- Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole for Monday-Thursday dinner
Supplies List (for one person):
- rotisserie chicken, 1
- turkey bacon (or your favorite kind of bacon)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 3-4 large (about 32 ounces)
- sliced turkey breast (For Friday)
- Blueberry Siggi’s Greek Yogurt, 3
- brown rice penne or fusilli pasta, 3 cups (I like Jovial, Trader Joe’s brand, or DeLallo)
- chicken broth, 3/4 cup
- whole fat greek yogurt, 2 cups
- mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1 1/2 cups
- cheddar cheese, shredded, 1 cup
- milk, 2%, 1/2 cup
- Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix
- Tortilla or wraps (for Friday lunch)
- pesto (for Friday lunch)
- mayo (or vegan mayo)
- Friday dinner – Pizza! Choose your own
- sweet potatoes, 2 medium
- yellow onion (half for sweet potato dish, half for casserole)
- whole white mushrooms, 2 small cartons (4 servings)
- red peppers, 2
- green peppers, 2
- kale, 1 bunch
- turkey wrap toppings such as baby spinach, (for Friday lunch)
**SOME ITEMS ARE NOTED “FOR THURSDAY” or “FOR FRIDAY”. FOR BEST QUALITY, PURCHASE THESE ITEMS LATER IN THE WEEK.
- Apples/Peanut Butter
- protein bar/shakes
- Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Babybel Cheese
- chickpeas (roasted or unroasted to make your own)
- turkey jerky
- lemon pepper seasoning
- minced garlic
- red chili pepper flakes
- ground ginger
- dried parsley
- ground peppercorns (or use regular pepper)
- avocado oil or olive oil
- sea salt/pepper
- large skillet or dutch oven
- slow cooker/Crock Pot
- Kitchen scale
- 4-cup Pyrex bowls for lunches, and large Pyrex bowls
Sunday Meal Prep for December 4th, 2016:
- [10 minutes] Start the BBQ Black Bean Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes, since those take a while in the slow cooker.
- [10 minutes] Preheat oven to 425. Prep your veggies (mushrooms and peppers) for roasting by cutting the peppers into bite-sized cubes. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, ground peppercorns, dried parsley, and garlic powder (or your preferred spice mix). Cook for 25-30 minutes until your preferred doneness.
- [30 minutes] After the veggies go in the oven, prepare the chicken. I cut the chicken into small pieces and seasoned with lemon pepper (freshly ground), 1 teaspoon paprika, salt and salt (pictured). I then cooked the chicken in the Dutch oven (with avocado oil) over medium high heat for 12-15 minutes until all the chicken was cooked through. Add an lemon worth of lemon juice when the chicken has just started to turn color (after about 3 minutes). The chicken took about as long to prepare and cook as the roasted veggies took in the oven.
- [10 minutes] Pull the chicken from the bones of the rotisserie chicken to be used in the casserole. This can be done at any time along the way if not already completed (it’s easier to do when the chicken is cool, but NOT refrigerated).
- [5 minutes] Portion both the chicken and veggies into your choice of containers when done. These can be refrigerated until the slow cooker sweet potatoes are done.
- [60 minutes] When all of that is cleaned up, begin the Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Kale Casserole. I would suggest eating a portion for dinner and packing about 1.25 portions in each container for the rest of the week’s dinner (one portion is 1/8 of the casserole). Time included for clean up which the casserole is cooking.
Total Active Time Estimate: 2 hours 5 minutes
This Week’s Featured Recipes:
Thanks for checking out the Sunday Meal Prep for December 4th, 2016. Any feedback is appreciated so I can improve the Sunday Meal Prep posts every week. Tag @projectmealplan on social media if you meal prep! I’d love to see what you’ve created! And follow me on Pinterest for meal inspiration every single day 🙂