Super juicy chicken breast with baked sweet potatoes and spicy wok-fried green beans! Here’s the Meal Prep Asian-Style Marinated Chicken with Veggies – perfect for meal prep lunches and super easy to customize!
Jump to Recipe
To be honest, this meal prep-spiration all started with these green beans from a certain Chinese restaurant near Pittsburgh. They are seriously fabulous, and I knew I had to try and recreate them at home. After tons of recipe searching, learning what ‘dry-fried’ is, and breaking all the bean stems off by hand (like they do at the restaurant), I was ready to go.
I settled on this recipe from Lucky Peach – Dry-Fried Green Beans (update – check the recipe card for a new recommended recipe for the green bean side). And I think it’s pretty close to the restaurant ones. I’m going to make them again a few times to get it just right, but it’s definitely going on veggie/side dish rotation around here.
Please don’t say it’s weird to put sweet potatoes with this mix! I decided to pass on the plain old chicken/rice or quinoa combo and go for sweet potatoes. Even with savory spices (garlic/cayenne/thyme), the natural sweetness gives such a nice alternative to the marinated chicken and spicy green beans.
Another good thing about the sweet potato – I cut it into small cubes and roasted it on the same sheet pan as the chicken for the same amount of time! They were done just how I liked them, and the chicken successfully reached 165 degrees. While they were baking, I cooked the green beans in a wok on the stove. Everything was timed perfectly, and I’m pretty sure it was meant to be. So at least there’s that.
And hey, you can totally pair the marinated chicken with rice and those awesome green beans if you want. Or maybe some broccoli? There are tons of possibilities, but here’s just one idea 🙂
Other meal prep bowl ideas from Project Meal Plan:
- Mexican Quinoa Chicken Salad Lunch Bowls
- Meal Prep Turkey Black Bean Salads
- Chicken & Hummus Plate Lunch Meal Prep
Meal Prep Asian-Style Marinated Chicken with Veggies – An easy & flavorful chicken marinade for Asian-style baked chicken with my favorite veggies! – ProjectMealPlan.com
- 1 1/4 pounds (20 ounces) boneless skinless chicken breast, fresh or thawed (approximately 3 medium to large chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (I used ginger paste!)
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 large sweet potato (a pound or so), cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon (or so) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt & pepper
See link in notes for green bean recipe
Combine all marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk until blended. Add marinade and chicken to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Combine sweet potato ingredients in a medium bowl until all the sweet potato is coated with oil. Spread onto one side of a foil lined baking sheet. Place chicken breasts on the other side.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Stir sweet potatoes and check chicken temperature. Cook for another 5-10 minutes, checking the chicken temperature until it reaches 165 degrees F.
- See notes for the green bean recipe I cooked on the stove while the sheet pan was in the oven.
- Slice chicken breasts when cool, and divide chicken and vegetables between 4 airtight containers. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days!
Green Bean Recipe (original Lucky Peach recipe is no longer available but this one will also work!): Dry-Fried Green Beans
- Serving Size: 1 bowl (5 ounces chicken breast plus veggies)
- Calories: 392
- Sugar: 9g
- Fat: 13g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 58g